Doug-n

Reaction score
City, State
Swansea, U.K.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt
Anyone got any ideas...cause or solution

1999 explorer xlt 4.0 (UK spec)

in auto, approx 10mph on a farm track, hit a small pothole, bit of a 'clunk' from the transmission, now I'm stuck in low ratio 2wd (I did'nt know Explorers could do this) with the OD light flashing.

Switch will go from auto to 4hi and back again (4wd does not engage), but not into 4L. OD ligh off on startup but begins flashing after about I minute driving.

? dealer job :(

TIA
doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your shift motor is on the fritz. Try tapping on the t-case and shift motor LIGHTLY with a mallet, put the transmission in neutral and see if it will shift into 2wd. If you have to take the shift motor off (3 8mm bolts and use a pair of pliers to shift it into 2hi. Are you sure the 4wd isnt engaging? if the 4wd wasnt working your 4wd lights should flash 6 times.

thanks for taking the time to reply

I'm fairly certain theat 4wd is'nt engaging, as the current (on road) handling is completely different to what I would expect with 4wd engaged, especially in low ratio - though no lights are flashing (except the od light).

the only options I have with the switch is auto-4hi-4l.

doug

Not much extra help but I don't see why engaging low ratio and 4WD are not two separate operations. During normal service it seems that these operations are interconnected but as you dropped into low ratio unexpectedly this could result in 2WD - Low.

Can't say I'd be tempted to dismantle at this time of year - unless it can be done undercover. But to help there are plenty of maintenance manuals on ebay

http://search.ebay.co.uk/ford-explo...tionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

Have you tried all the permutations of switch/gearbox position - engine on/off?

Tried all permutations of switch position, also shifting from neutral to D and neutral to R seperately.

Can't say I am tempted to dismantel, though I did try a light tap with a softhead mallet to the t-case - no joy, (how about a large tap with a sledgehammer as plan b[just kidding])

I feel a trip to the local dealer comming on

thanks for your help

doug

Let's hope Welsh Ford dealers are better than North Eastern ones.

I usually find 5 or 6 trips per fault seems to do it - that is after I find out from the guys on this site what to tell them to look at!!

Hadn't realised about the foot brake bit - must have always done that naturally...

stuck in 4wd low or hi

i have had similar problems with the 4wd side of my 98 explorer every now and again i get stuck in 4wd low or high .thenlthe 4wd low and high lights flash all i do is disconnect the negative battery lead and place it on the posative lead to drain the system,then replace lead,it seems to reset gear changer and all is fine

local dealer appears to have sorted the problem (at least for the time being) by 'resetting' the 4wd controller in the back (I suspect that this is a similar sort to yours ringrib).

I agree that the level of service is in prportion to the level of experience UK dealers have with the X (case in point, they still have'nt cracked an overheating problem I've had for the last few months [see previous post-but then neither has anyone else on this site got any ideas on that one]), the local Ford dealer do their best, after all I am 50% of their explorer clientel, but they appear to be limited to what Ford tell them.

Back