stuck schrader valve on Fresh rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stuck schrader valve on Fresh rebuild

1994Splash

Reaction score
City, State
madison,al
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Splash
First, I just joined this group a few days ago and I must say this is a great forum with lots of good info.

I just rebuilt my 1994 ranger splash's ac system and thanks to this forum it went well. The problem is as I removed the gauge from the high side the schrader valve stuck open. I was so blown away I did not know what to do it was blowing 134 like a bp oil well. I put the schrader cap on it to stop/slow the leak.

How to I fix it? Can I fix it? Right now I am trying to decide if I just drive it for as long as the cap holds off and then get into or try an poke around and unstick the valve. I am waiting until it cools while I ponder the situtation.

You can replace the "core" of the valve - but you'll need a special screwdriver for schrader valves (available at most parts stores). Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the cores for A/C systems are a bit special in that their O-ring seal is not just made from the typical rubber.

2527_Schrader-Valve-Screwdriver-POPUP_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg

Thanks IZwack Had I been thinking, I have a tool similar that I have used for tires. Here is my lesson learned, never shove a plastic cap on a hot schrader valve! The cap kind of melted inside the valve. I am off to the parts store for a new valve assembly and a recharge do over.

The Low side valve has a brass flat top, O-ring, and a spring connected to it. Can't be removed like a normal Schrader valve. A new tip is really the best way to solve this. Been here, done this already.

Back