• Register Today It's free!

Stuck-Up Window Regulator?

Brock94

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
If I put my driver's window all the way up, it gets stuck. The first time this happened I thought the motor was bad-- I wish I had tested it :rolleyes: -- I bought a rebuilt and installed that and the window went up and down again. I put everything back together, returned my "core" and went on my way thinking "problem solved"-- a couple days later it got stuck in the up position again.

I took off the trim, loosened and retightened the motor bolts and cycled the window-- it worked fine again. For about two months now, I've just tried to be careful not to put the window ALL the way up (I can carefully close it so it is water tight, etc., I just can't let it bump at the top or it gets stuck.)

Now and then, I push it up a little too far and it gets stuck again-- so I repeat the bolt-loosening exercise. I've gotten that down to about 10 minutes, but I'd really like to do a permanent fix.

It seems like something's binding, so I've taken off the door trim and operated the window while watching the regulator from both sides with a flashlight-- I can't figure out what's binding-- I even tried putting a little grease on the moving parts to see if that would help, but it consistently gets stuck in the up position. I can't see anything in the upper trim that could be jamming it up either.

Is this the window regulator? If so, what goes wrong with them? If I knew what goes wrong with them, maybe I could figure out how to fix it rather than replace it. I'd like to avoid buying a new one if I can, but I'd also like to be sure it is the window regulator before spending money on a new one.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have.

Thank you!

Back