• Register Today It's free!

Stud replacement on '98 4x4

NCSUDockhand

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4X4
Sort of had a mishap while rotating my tires this weekend. One of the studs sheared off on the front driver's side. I was going to replace it, but it was getting dark and I couldn't see an easy way to do it. I figured I'd start a thread to make sure that I am correct in my assumptions and in case anyone can give me any advice about problems I may encounter....

I was able to remove the caliper very easily, but apparently I have to remove the bracket as well to get the rotor off? From memory, I believe that consists of removing two very large rusted bolts (which I will blast with PB blaster)? Then will the rotor just come off? Will the studs be pressed into the rotor itself or a hub behind it? Will I need any special tools to remove anything? Any other maintenance I should perform while I've got everything that far apart? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you need to remove the two bolts that hold the caliper bracket on to get the rotor off.

The studs are pressed into the spindle/hub behind the rotor.

The rotor will probably be hard to remove from the spindle. I had to take the spindle & rotor off the truck and hit the spindle with a hammer until it seperated. I wouldn't reccomend that method though, I only did it because I was replacing the spindle/hub.

Good, so assuming that the rotor comes off, I will not have to adjust or re-pack the bearings.....

You can't adjust/repack the front bearings on 95+ explorers. They're a non-servicable part, I think because the ABS sensor is part of the spindle/hub/bearings.

^I learned that one the expensive way^ even though it wasnt me messin around, it was just a bad bearing

Back