• Register Today It's free!

Stumped on 4x4 problem...

Freshmeat

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger STX SC
I've read several extensive threads related to the 4x4 problem, but I can't find any that actually detail what I should do next. Several mention that it could happen, but don't go into any more explanation.

As I'm sure you've guessed, my t-case (1354 auto) won't shift into 4x4. I've tried tapping on the motor while someone else was pressing the button but no luck. I disconnected the two harnesses from the module and hit the reset button and it flashed four times, which tells me the module is fine.

When I hit the 4x4 button on the dash, there is absolutely no clicking from the rear of the vehicle. Is it possibly an issue with the motor and the module is keeping the relays from even clicking? I popped the panel with the buttons out of the dash to verify that the harness is at least plugged into the dash and it is.

Does anyone have wiring diagrams on what wires in the 4x4 system connect to what so I can try to trace down my problem? It's my understanding that if the relays aren't even clicking, the problem is between my switch and the module, meaning the motor isn't even getting the chance to be the fault, yet.

Any help would be VERY greatly appreciated. I'm planning to rebuild the motor ASAP, but if this is going to be something not related to the motor I want to get it figured out first so I can eliminate the possibility of rebuilding the motor improperly and never actually resolving this.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm ready to start hitting the trails- the Jeep guys are already on my ass about getting out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's the motor.

The 'fingers' that touch the round PCB aren't making contact with the copper, so the 4WD computer doesn't know where the motor is currently, and can't tell the motor which way to rotate.

Rebuild the motor, and it'll work.

Ryan

I was under the impression I should still hear the clicking from the back. Is that not the case?

The shift motor is 'lost'...as in, the computer doesn't know where the motor is clocked at right now.

Sometimes you hear the clicking. Sometimes you do not. It depends on EXACTLY where the motor is clocked at when it broke.

Ryan

Okay- that makes a lot of sense. I'll pull it and repair it in the morning. Thanks, man.

Back