STUMPED. Suspenion/braking/steering problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

STUMPED. Suspenion/braking/steering problems

Degz3vEB

Reaction score
City, State
Pearland Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer 4wd 4.6
Bear with me . This explanation may be confusing.

For about a week now, under medium braking, my ex would make a noise as if something was loose (clunk) if you will. It can be felt in the pedal ” disengaging” and ” reengaging”.

Over the past few days, it now actually pulls on my steering UNDER ACCELERATION as well as braking.

When this happens, the steering wheel will go slightly loose feeling and turn to the left, meanwhile it feels as if the right wheel toes out, thus leaving the ex tracking straight, but feeling quite unstable! Ive looked at every nut and bolt under the front end, everythin seems right.

Thoughts,help, ideas?

I would take it a step further. Jack it up and give each tire a yank, up and down and sideways (looking for movement,) and then remove each tire and give the brakes a better examination.

Update. On monday I took the ex to the ford dealer, they diagnosed the problem as lower ball joints, which fixed the acceleration pull, but not the braking issue. They also claimed that I had a ” dished” rotor that they wanted to resurface for 130$ (which I told em to get stuffed about), but told me that was responsible for the breaking pull.

I then replaced the rotors (which with a micrometer, I determined were not dished, and only .003” in difference) which, made absolutely no change.

This morning, the acceleration pulling came back. Called the dealership, their only response was that theyll have a tech ride with me so I can show them what its doing.

Any new ideas?

My first thought was a loose caliper attachment bolt, but that's ruled out.

Are the calipers in good shape? If the piston or pads are getting hung up, that would account for the pull, and when they finally break free and move, that would account for the "clunk". You may or may not have already checked this when you replaced the rotors.

Pull the caliper housings off of the caliper brackets, like you were going to change the pads. Check the pads and the shims that they slide on. Are they allowed to move smoothly? Any of the shims cracked or have debris built up in them? If so, change them.

Next, remove the pads and reinstall the housings. See if the housing is able to move smoothly on the pins. If not, inspect the pins for corrosion or pitting, and replace if necessary. I replaced my pins & bushings when I did my pads for this very reason.

Finally, use a piston-retractor (or a C-clamp) to push the piston into the housing. Does it run in smoothly, or does it feel like you have to use excessive force? Put the corner back together and pump the brakes until it starts to feel firm, but no more! Now use a flashlight to compare the space between the right and left pads to rotors. If you have a lot of gap on 1 side still, even thought the pedal feels firm, you could have some corrosion in that piston bore. Consider rebuilding or replacing.

Back