• Register Today It's free!

Stupid Shock Question

AJMackey

Reaction score
City, State
Coconut Creek, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
I plan on lifting my 98 Limited a mere 2 to 4". I will be installing regular shocks as I don't want anything to do with the problematic air ride system this truck has. Is there a certain size shock I need to order? or will any LT shocks do. When I try to order shocks I keep running into a problem because I'm told I need special shocks because of the air ride system. Can anyone suggest a certain shock? I won't be doing any/much off roading, I just want the truck to look cool.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All I know is never had a problem with Monroe shocks. Don't have the air ride so can't give you any more advice.

You don't have to worry about shocks if you're doing a body lift, but I assume you're doing a suspension lift if you're concerned about it. I believe with 2'' of lift, normal length shocks are fine, but any more than that you're going to have to order longer/extended shocks.

okay calmer heads will prevail with some understanding and no nonsense, answers,

first of all , getting away from the air ride is okay, but be prepared to maybe have weak springs that sag,,, and if you don't just head to the local parts store and get some shocks for the same year vehicle without air ride, and pull the relay for the air ride and shut it down,

if you are going to lift 2 inches you should be a-okay with a regualr set of shocks from a stocker rig, even with a bdy lift as the distances in shock mounting points do not change,even with a torsion twist and add a leaf, or shackles, but if doing a 4 inch suspension lift , shocks will have to be changed, to a longer shock , made for the lift kit, ,

Thank you for the info, I'll see how it turns out.

Mackey, don't know if you've done it yet but just over the last weekend I did add-a-leafs with my shackles and i have close to 3" lift so i got some shocks that were 4" longer for future (post summer) lift. They were rancho 5000's pn RS5227 I believe... its a bigger lower shock eye but i just slightly bent the mount brackets wider with a crowbar and redrilled the holes larger and it works like a dream.

Caejxr, thanks for that post. I hate to copy your work (it's how I got through college), but can you be more specific on the add-a-leaf and shackles (what and where do I order them) and I'll do the same thing. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, I'm not a mechanic, just a guy with a cool tool collection looking to use them.

haha no worries. i got the add-a-leafs from summitracing for around 40 bucks their procomps I got the short ones other people get the long ones. but I wanted to stiffen up my ride a lot so i went with the shorts. when you install them make sure you do it by size shortest on bottom longest on top. there's a good write up or two on here if you need more info on it. the shackles are warrior shackles i think i just ordered them from the warrior products web page and they ran about 85 total if i remember right.

i'll post some pictures of what i did here pretty soon:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269951

cool, one more thing, my truck sags on the drivers side (like most) will that solve that?..or do I have to replace the springs?

usually you have to replace the springs to get rid of the lean condition to the drivers side, but there is also the option of swapping your leaf springs from side to side, , but,,

replacing is better , LMC truck has new ones for a fair price,

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fex/full.aspx?Page=95

Awesome info, why don't you just swing by and install this stuff, I pay good

thanks for all the info

Florida,, hmmmm,, i would drop by and help in a minute except i am just a few miles too far north to just drop by,,

lol, ,

It will probably just fatigue the parts faster (?) (I'm converting to coil overs in Aug. anyway) but my left torsion bar helped with a lot of that by just tightening it a little more.. maybe my sag wasn't so bad but thats what I noticed.

Like Paraphone said, generally 2" is OK with stock length shocks. It's not perfect, and you might wear the shocks down faster, but you won't be completely out of the shock's range of motion. For 4" though, you need to get a longer shock. The only shock I can find that's an exact swap 4" longer than stock is the Rancho RS999275 but that's a pretty pricey shock. A less expensive route would be to go with a Bilstein 5125 series that's about the right length, and add in an adapter for your crossbar top mount.

PS. I used to live in Coconut Creek. If you haven't been there yet, check out Hurricane Wings on 441 between Hillsboro and the Sawgrass. Try the firecracker sauce, it haunts my dreams.

Like Paraphone said, generally 2" is OK with stock length shocks. It's not perfect, and you might wear the shocks down faster, but you won't be completely out of the shock's range of motion. For 4" though, you need to get a longer shock. The only shock I can find that's an exact swap 4" longer than stock is the Rancho RS999275 but that's a pretty pricey shock. A less expensive route would be to go with a Bilstein 5125 series that's about the right length, and add in an adapter for your crossbar top mount.

PS. I used to live in Coconut Creek. If you haven't been there yet, check out Hurricane Wings on 441 between Hillsboro and the Sawgrass. Try the firecracker sauce, it haunts my dreams.

Which adapter would be the correct one? 411337 or 411338?

Back