• Register Today It's free!

Sub Box question

the_eq_kid

Reaction score
City, State
hi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt
I'll make it quick am planning a box for my x. I want to use some Jl w6s or w7s not sure which yet. But my question is I want to make it so the box will fit with the third row seat up. By the way its a 2003 xlt. I was wondering around what size the box would be to decide on which speakers to use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive heard of people here wanting to do that but nobody has yet I think. If you are going to use really nice subs like that (which is always good) you are going to need a lot of air space and the back row may be in the way.Just put your 3rd seat up and take measurements back there and see if the Geometry works out. You need ATLEAST 1 ftcubed airspace for each sub.

actually nice subs usually need less airspace than less nice subs.

i'm not sure on the amount of area you have to work with back there, but i'm sure it can be done for either of those subs.

Nice subs can operate in smaller boxes. But still generally the more air the box has the better the sub is going to sound. People think polyfill makes up for this lack of space it does'nt. It just dampens the inside of the box. No replacement for displacement.

lol if u learn how to calculate, or find a custom box builder, u could get a transmission line box made. in a t-line design, the sound waves travel through a labyrinth sort of path to the port. This allows you to have more airspace in a smaller box.

And polyfill is horrible.

a transmission line box is not going to save space

i built a transmission line box for the back of a new gen. explorer that housed a single elemental designs e12a. the box was only like 1.5 cubic feet but by the time you add the port etc. to the design it fills up a lot of space.

i run mtx 9500 15s in sealed 1.75 cubic foot boxes. they wouldn't sound better in any other sized box. bigger isn't better the right size is better.

jeff96 said:
...But still generally the more air the box has the better the sub is going to sound. People think polyfill makes up for this lack of space it does'nt. It just dampens the inside of the box. No replacement for displacement.
EXACTLY what I was trying to say. Eventually you will regret having a smaller box (I do). The More Airspace The Better (In Most Cases).

expo5.0 said:
bigger isn't better the right size is better.

True but alot of the time companies will put smaller than the optimum amount just to try and one up the competition. So that theres seems more optimal. Sure it'll work in 3/4 ft of airspace but it'll sound better in 1ft.

If you truely want to save that third row seat. Why not just get a stealth box. Problem solved.

I want have a good sub in my car not a w3 or something. I don't think a stealth box would be large enough to support either a w6 or w7.

also I've owned both w6s and w3s before and the 6s are a million times better. also I would like to put at least to 10's or 12's in hopefullly

humm well maybe t-line wont be smaller then a sealed, but it will still allow for more airspace. But since ur running JL, and they are SQ subs then you should get a sealed box for SQ.

I don't have any experience with companies suggesting you build boxes for their subs such that they won't sound as good as possible.

Back