Suggestions for Amp/Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions for Amp/Install

eyal8r

Reaction score
Hey guys-
I have an '00 Mountaineer with Factory Sub. I just picked up a box w/ 2 Rockford Fosgate 10" PS2 Punch's. It's a nice box. I already upgraded my deck (don't recall what it is in the moment, but it wasn't anything special, but did have amp output and my factory sub is being powered by the deck now).

I need suggestions for an amp for these guys. I don't know if they're DVC or SVC- but I know they're 250w RMS and 500w Peak. As always, I need to find something for cheap- best bang for the buck, but want to hear what this box is capable of at the same time (without blowing the speakers!). 99% of the time I will not be listening to it loud as I have a wife/baby who wouldn't like it in the car.

Also- I need to know the best way to install this setup. I want the box secure, but easily removed if I need it to be. I haul a bunch of stuff and need the space from time to time. I'd like to be able to take the box out when I need to.

I assume I'll install the amp under the 2nd row seat.

I have factory speakers- not planning on replacing those for a while, if ever (they sound ok to me).

Can you guys suggest an amp for me? I don't know how many channels/watts/mono/rms/hickabob/doohicky I need.

Can you suggest installation of the box itself?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10785_Hitron+HA-1000.2+-GRAY-.html

That should work just nicely.

As for mounting the box, you need to choose one....Secure or Easily removable.
Secure - steel "L" brackets mounted to the floor.
Easily removable - Industrial Velcro. You could also use bungee cords too. I never had to mount a box so it could be removed, so someone else might have a better way.
How big is the box you have now??

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10785_Hitron+HA-1000.2+-GRAY-.html

That should work just nicely.

As for mounting the box, you need to choose one....Secure or Easily removable.
Secure - steel "L" brackets mounted to the floor.
Easily removable - Industrial Velcro. You could also use bungee cords too. I never had to mount a box so it could be removed, so someone else might have a better way.
How big is the box you have now??

Horrible amp...your lucky to get 300 clean watts out of it...don't buy it. I'd rather have a quality real 300 watt amp than that piece of crap.

Also if you want the enclosure to be secure you can bolt a board to the floor and then bolt the enclosure to the board with L-brackets and heavy duty t-nuts

Thanks for the help guys!

The install idea of mounting it is a great! I'll have to see which way I want to go. Normally, I'd mount it permanently (or, pretty close to). But, this box takes up a large space- and often I even need to slide the seats down to get everything in I need to.

As far as the amp goes...
I might even buy off craigslist or something- I'm seeing some alpine and fosgate amps on there for decent prices. Can you tell me the specs I need to be looking for? ie- channels and watts? Since I have 2 speakers (both the same 10") does it mean that I need 2 channels? Sorry- it's been a LOOOOONG time since I was into Car Audio... ;)

Is under the seat the best place to mount the amp?

I mounted my amp on the back seat flap, it does stick out maybe an inch from the back seat now, but unless your knew it was there you wouldn't ever notice it. I think it's a nice spot it's hidden out of the way, but it's easy to access if you need to get to it.

Under the seat is not a good place, it gets very little air flow under there so your amp could run hot. Wost case scenario, you will have what is called "thermal-runaway"
The hotter the amp gets, the more current it will draw; the more current draw, the hotter it will get.

huh. What about where the factory amp/sub goes, in the rear side panel?

What specs should I be looking for on the amp?

Under the rear seat works for me. If the seat is down, the stereo is off, and something goes on top of the amp so it does not get scratched.

th_V12_mounted.jpg

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/V12_mounted.jpg

I have mine under seats, and yes is not the better place, but not the worst cause is and open area, and i always use A/C, mines just get worm to touch.

For the amp we need more info about the subs, what voice coils they have to do better recomendation.

Back