Suggestions for moderately priced tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions for moderately priced tires?

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
It's 2023 so I thought I'd check to see if anyone has a suggestion for new tires. I live in Florida so mostly hot and a lot of thunderstorms. No need for mud/snow tires. I say "moderately priced" because I'm not looking to break the bank by getting primo tires. Looking for the best bang for the buck. Something with decent tire wear and as quiet as possible. Doesn't have to be a cheap tire and certainly don't want expensive tires....maybe something middle of the road. I'll probably buy at Discount Tire or Sam's Club. To me "moderate" is around $200/tire.

See anything good on THIS LIST?

p.s. I have 20" rims with tire size of 275/45R20. The old worn tires are Bridgestone Duellers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of THIS ONE?

They would be a lot cheaper if you would go back to stock rim size or at least the 17's. (16's are cheapest).

Falken is a decent brand, I've seen Stacy David use them.

If you want a major brand that Good Year Eagle GT is only $9 more.

I'd personally go with the Coopers Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person That deep wide tread gaps should do well in heavy rain.

Don't trust the backorder with DTC, go to the store and have them order them, most of the ones that say backorder they can order especially if the Discount Tire DIRECT site says they are in stock. I'd browse the Direct site then go to the store to order what you want.

Falken makes some well regarded all terrain tires. I don't have experience with any of the others. I'd look at something with at least a 50k treadwear and A/A ratings for speed and temperature - the Falkens have that. I've had good experiences with various Continentals. My explorer is wearing Generals but they don't seem to have 20" at least not at the store I use.

Your rim size is driving up the cost of tires.

Thanks y'all! I ended up going with the Falken Ziex STZ05 tires as they met my criteria of being a decent tire at an affordable price. What's odd is that at discounttiredirect.com (online only) the price is $169 per tire but at discounttire.com (brick & mortar) the price is $203 per tire. I've seen these tires sell for $250+ at other websites.

All you have to do is call your local Discount Tire store and tell them you saw the lower price at their online only store and they'll order them for you at the discounted price. It was easy-peasy as they contacted me a few days later that tires arrived and they installed them that day by appointment. In and out in less than one hour. I've always been impressed with the service and no bullchit of Discount Tire; always very professional. Install cost is $24 per tire and FL gubermint tire fees are $4 per tire. For $32 per tire you can optionally get lifetime warranty. Even though their website says "3 years" I had two different people tell me they actually honor it past 3 years but only down to 3/32nd which is the wear bar. For some reason my 2002 Exploder and my girlfriend's 2014 Exploder are both nail magnets.

So far so good...the tires ride nice and quiet compared to the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza I had on there but then again they were getting old and stiff. They actually have a more aggressive look in this size than I thought they would.

Falken Ziex STZ05.JPG

1686349137425.png

Good advice thanks!!

Falkens have been good tires last few years they really coming up with good quality shoes

Where are those ones made?

Good advice thanks!!

Falkens have been good tires last few years they really coming up with good quality shoes

Where are those ones made?
These ones were made in Japan.

1686410844014.png

Back