• Register Today It's free!

sunroof guard noise

ben_hawaii

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
anyone else with the sunroof slightly pissed off that the sunguard on the moonroof flaps like all hell when the windows are down? couldnt a better design been thought up instead of that nice sound like youre on a boat when the guard is up and any of the windows are down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone else with the sunroof slightly pissed off that the sunguard on the moonroof flaps like all hell when the windows are down? couldnt a better design been thought up instead of that nice sound like youre on a boat when the guard is up and any of the windows are down?

Mine doesn't flap.. city or highway driving. Only thing I notice is the sound the wind makes going through the sound guard. My previous cars had a solid flap so it never made this buzzing sound (best way to describe it).. this one has all the pin holes through the cloth sunguard.

I've been from crawling up to 80 mph with the windows down and moonroof open.

Mine hasn't flapped either. City or highway driving. Only thing that constantly flaps is the old ladies lips. Ooops. Hehehehe.

Is it in the fully stowed position? (Full rear).
Try that maybe. If windows are down why not have it fully retracted?

I had my moon roof open today for 20 minutes on I-40 at 70 mph. I did not notice any flapping or other noise.

Last night I drove about 40 miles with everything open at about 45 to 50 mph. The only noise I heard was a "chirping". I assumed it was the moon roof, but it did not go away when I closed the roof. It went away when I closed the rear windows. It was the first time I had noticed the sound.

I can see why that noise would get annoying, and I would like to offer my help. So I can assist, please send me a private message with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

deerfarm, I would also like to offer my assistance to look into the chirping noise you’ve been experiencing. If you would like me to do this, please send me a PM with the above information as well.

Cory

I also have not noticed any flapping.

Jack

I just experienced the noise today! Couldn't figure out where it was coming from at first. I opened the sunguard and the flapping noise stopped!

Not sure if you guys are talking about the same thing. If the moonroof is closed and the windows are down, the noise you hear is the seat belts in the back flapping. If the moonroof is open the seat belts stop flapping (sometimes.) As for the guard on the actual moonroof, I haven't had any problems with that. One thing I have noticed is when I drive with just the second row windows down there is a bad reverberation sound like your in a helicopter. Almost hurts your ears. As soon as you crack a front window it stops. I think this is common in alot of vehicles.

Cheers

The original poster (I believe) is talking about the sunshade under the moonroof flapping (presumably with the moonroof closed and the sunshade covering it, but covering both panels or just the rear panel?) when the windows are open. Haven't had nice enough weather to open my windows lately so I haven't been able to check this.

The noise with only the second row windows down is definitely not pleasant but is common with a lot of vehicles. My 2009 does it as well and it's even mentioned in the manual to lower one of the front windows slightly to stop it.

I can see why that noise would get annoying, and I would like to offer my help. So I can assist, please send me a private message with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

deerfarm, I would also like to offer my assistance to look into the chirping noise you’ve been experiencing. If you would like me to do this, please send me a PM with the above information as well.

Cory
Cory -
Good Morning!
We bought our Limited Edition about 2.5 months ago. We have since experienced the Apillar buzzing (literally thought the windsheild would come off) - they fixed that somewhat (still a lot of noise) - the moonroof makes a swirling sound when closed and driving on the interstate. The glovebox rattles (they said there is no way to adjust this and the clips are in weird places)? There is also a rattle coming from the back passenger (right side) window - gusty wind.
Any suggestions or are these all common problems?
I feel like they've (the dealer) has had our car more than we have since buying it!

This is our first FORD - Honda and BMW drivers.

Thanks,
Amy

Mine has started doing this too. If I roll the window down halfway or more, the right side of the sunshade flaps up and down. You can see it flapping quite easily and is very annoying. It obly does it when the front half of the moonroof is exposed but 2nd row covered.

Item #8 on my list for the dealer this coming Thursday.

Cory -
Good Morning!
We bought our Limited Edition about 2.5 months ago. We have since experienced the Apillar buzzing (literally thought the windsheild would come off) - they fixed that somewhat (still a lot of noise) - the moonroof makes a swirling sound when closed and driving on the interstate. The glovebox rattles (they said there is no way to adjust this and the clips are in weird places)? There is also a rattle coming from the back passenger (right side) window - gusty wind.
Any suggestions or are these all common problems?
I feel like they've (the dealer) has had our car more than we have since buying it!

This is our first FORD - Honda and BMW drivers.

Thanks,
Amy
Amy - I understand why you would feel like the dealer has had it more than you, and I can imagine those noises would get annoying. I would like to help by escalating your concerns. So I can assist, please send me a private message with your VIN, approximate mileage, contact info, and dealer name.

Cory

Yep I have it too. Happens with the sunshade exposing the front moon roof but covering the rear seats. Just a bad design.

Back