Supercharge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharge

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm saving up and considering buying a Kenne-Bell supercharger for my '96 explorer 5.0. The only problem is I'm wondering if theres a noticably higher horsepower change for it to be worth the $3300. I'm also wondering what are the stock and supercharged specs on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times if anyone has them. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet a 5.0 s/c, that thing will haul! good luck, i know powerdyne makes a 5.0 kit also

first of all- do you have 22s? second, its definitely worth the money. the charger is the cheapest easiest least dangerous way to make the power. i don't know much about the different options, but i would try to get one that you can adjust easily from around 4-10 pouns of boost. good luck, and if you have 22s put some pictures up as soon as possible

if youve got at least an aftermarket exhuast, you will be hittin 300+ at the motor. i believe the kennbell is set at 6 psi of boost, and if you up it, it voids the warranty. if your motor is mostly stock, i wouldnt go over 8psi. there are ways of making more boost without changing the pulley on the charger (cant void the warranty if it wasnt modified, now can it?;) ive been saving for this charger for a while; should have the funds for it this summer. oh, and if youve ever rode in a 300-400 horse explorer, HELL YES ITS WORTH THE MONEY!

ok, here's a question that's kinda related to the topic.

How hard is it to intercool a roots-type supercharger? I know it's relatively simple for a centrifugal type, but it seems much more difficult for the Eaton style.

I haven't found a reasonable way to intercool my s/c. I do know my dad's MB SLK 230 has the M62 Eaton unit with an intercooler, but I don't see an easy way to adapt it to my truck. Basically, the intercooler needs to sandwich between the intake and blower to be effective. So it needs to be a plate with crossing cool water lines fed by a radiator style heat exchanger. Maybe if I can ever get my hands on an actual MB unit I can adapt it.

Back