Supercharged mustang v6 swap into first gen explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharged mustang v6 swap into first gen explorer

Well i never do build threads.. but this time i decided maybe I'll do a bit of one.. I've also been taking some video as my progress continues which i'll post up at some point on youtube. tomorrow I'll take some pics, too.

Anyway as some of you may remember a while back i had a first generation explorer with a 4.0, which i attempted to turbocharge (picture below)
PICT0064.jpg

well, it made boost but without an FMU (among other things probably) it had problems, then i got this 3.8L mustang v6 with a vortech supercharger on it. so i decided that would be a better idea. heres a pic of that too.
1004091137-01.jpg

i'll be mating this engine with an AOD transmission and T-case from a bronco.

So today, day one of the build, i pulled the explorer into the barn, and removed the original 4.0L engine and transmission (both are for sale if anybody is interested)

hmm.. not much to tell about today.. i think removing the engine and trans is pretty self explanatory. maybe the next thing i write in this thread will be more interesting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well... i realize i got zero interest in this when i started the thread.. but i've got some more work done with it so far, so here's an update.

i've removed the old engine and trans

dropped in the new engine, had to modify quite a bit of stuff to make it fit (cut out the battery box, removed the heater air box... it may be tricky to fab up a replacement one!) and i've notched the frame rail in a couple of places.. the stock 4.0 is a 60 degree V6, and the one i'm dropping in is a 90 degree v6, so it's considerably wider! and a bit of a tough fit.

here are some pics.... dropping in the new engine
PICT0003.jpg

sitting on the trailer after getting it back from the muffler shop (using their lift for putting in the transmission and transfercase)
PICT0027.jpg

and here's a pic of where i had to notch the frame rail to fit the new transfercase (borg warner 1356 out of a fullsize bronco)
PICT0028.jpg

and another pic from the bottom
PICT0029.jpg

i still have to make engine mounts, modify the axle pivot brackets (and possibly crossmember) so the engine will drop down the rest of the way, make a transmission crossmember, and modify the driveshafts. but it's coming along nicely.. hopefully saturday i'll get a chance to make some more progress!

the best part so far, is the electric shift wiring from the explorer plugs into the electronic shift wiring from the bronco's transfer case!! i hope it works :)

Thats a pretty interesting swap, wonder how much power that engine is putting out and how high the torque curve is going to be if it will need to be revved out all time.

Thats a pretty interesting swap, wonder how much power that engine is putting out and how high the torque curve is going to be if it will need to be revved out all time.

High revs dont concern me at all, i'll just gear it lower (and possibly change the stall converter) if it likes higher rpm's.

the numbers i've found from research are pretty good though, it should make about 220horsepower and 260 torque with 7psi and everything else stock. a decent step up from the 155 horsepower the stock 4.0 makes (which feels pretty powerful IMO anyway)

That will definitely feel like a rocket compared to the 4.0.

Nice!! I have only seen one other 3.8 SC conversion in life, in a Ranger, he eventually pulled it and went 5.0L but not until after he mobbed the crap out of that 3.8L!

Nice conversion, there is interest in this for sure, I think its cool as heck!!

Nice!! I have only seen one other 3.8 SC conversion in life, in a Ranger, he eventually pulled it and went 5.0L but not until after he mobbed the crap out of that 3.8L!

Nice conversion, there is interest in this for sure, I think its cool as heck!!

Yeah, i have a spare 302 which runs, too.. im sure with a nice set of heads it'd outperform the hell out of the v6, but i'm going with the V6 this time in an attempt to still get some decent power output, without paying a fortune every time i want to drive it somewhere and wheel it, there's so many good wheeling spots but they are all between 5 hours and 2 days drive away from here..

i have a bronco with a pretty built 408 stroker for hauling ass, but it's unaffordable to drive it anywhere to wheel it :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X-QDelPBzo

hopefully the explorer will get 20mpg freeway :)

Back