• Register Today It's free!

SuperChip Commentary

Keach

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 4x4
Hey folks, just installed my superchip from Smarty Parts and if you've got the cash, BUY ONE! This is by far the biggest bang for the buck add on I've purchased. I live in San Antonio, and I travel what we call the Texas Hill Country often with hills up to 2500 ft in elevation and the chip showed exceptional performance improvement here. Also in traffic I see noticeable improvements. When you accelerate from a light the pedal no longer has what i called the dead spot where you hit the flat line in the power curve. The truck pulls stronger and shifts much smoother. I run 31x10.5's with a 3.55 rear end and can just imagine a 3.73 or 4.10. Installiation was simple however be careful with your computer code. My connection cable and computer box gave me the code BAE3 and this is what i gave chris at smarty parts, chip came, installed, no start! Just a flashing red theft light on the dash. So I called Chris, didn't get a real solution, so I called Superchips. Guy was helpful, sd have someone put a scanner on and double check the code. He sd Ford changed the programing on some mid stream but didn't change labels. Sounded like Ford so thats what I did. Tried my sorry dealer and he sd I'd have to wait for 10 cars in front of me in that dept. and it would cost. Fords Service is about to start costing them customers. Anyway, pulled into local garage, asked for a favor, and got great, free help. I'll visit this place again. My real code was UCH0. Boxed up the chip and everything was handled no charge. Superchips actually had to write a new program. In closing, check out my signature to see all my mods. My Superchip has been the best purchase.

Keach

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what octane of gas?

You have to run 92 octane or higher with that chip, right?

I've been running 91 with no problems...good thing, too, since most premium gas here is just that, 91. In fact, the next tank will be 89.5 gasahol just to see if it pings or not...fact is, in this state (IA) gasahol costs 12¢ a gallon less than premium, so it's at least worth a look.

YES, you are supposed to run premium. Thats all I have used so far but I've got to fill up tommorrow and i'll get back with ya. I live in SA, TX so premium is on 1.56/gal. But in my mind its worth it. It improves everyday driving greatly.

Keach

speed limiter

Did the chip remove your speed limiter?

Don't know, not a place where I can air it out. I never checked the top speed stock. When I go to my home town of Goliad, TX I'll air it out. Plenty of straight, flat roads and my classmate is a DPS trooper so I can be safe.

Keach

Back