• Register Today It's free!

Superchip vs Hypertech?? Hmmm...

SeanM

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4.0L OHV 4WD 4dr
Ok...I have been reading up a little on these two types of chips: Hypertech and Superchip. I have all the mods that I will list below in my description and I am hoping to eventually add headers and a high-flow cat. Will this affect the chip I get and force me to have to go back to the company to get it reprogrammed for another large chunk of cash? I want more power, but the chip is cheaper than the headers and I want something now...I'm getting sick of not buying anything for my Explorer...It's too slow at the moment :) If anybody has ever installed a Hypertech or a Superchip, let me know here. I want to see what the differences are in power(if any), gas mileage(if any), service(if any) and overall satisfaction. I want a good solid chip and am willing to spend a little bit more, if it is necessary. But should I get the headers and high-flow cat first, or just go ahead and buy the chip now? Let me know what you think guys....

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh...One more thing....I want the Borla of chips(you know, the best among the competition)....I want a good solid proven chip which will maximize the other modifications that I have done(cat-back, K&N FIPK, plugs, wires) and am going to do(such as headers and high-flow cat, perhaps even nitrous). Let me know guys....let the information flow like a drunk's bladder.... :) Sorry about the icky reference :)

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires

Wow, a lot of demands for one little chip (joking)! Anyway, I know that I will be buying a Super Chip, don't really see guys having problems with them. Just like the name "Ford", tested, tested, tested some more, a little more, tried, tried again, tried a little more until something breaks, and finally, not quite.... aww... true! Super Chips have been around for a while, good price, good advantage, good product!!

Any questions or comments leave a message, and I will get back to you!

Goodnight!

For one thing, no one said Borla was the best. Id rather have a Flowmaster anyday. Dont buy it because its expensive, buy it because people have said good things about it.

Tony 91 Sport

I think he was refering to the Headers... Borla probably makes one of the better headers for our explorers...

nick

Actually, I was talking about both Borla's headers and cat-back exhausts. I can't speak from experience on the cat-back, because I have a Flowmaster 40 series, but I do know that Borla pumps out the best hp, torque, and mileage gains for any cat-back on the market. And as for headers, no other company makes a life-time warranty on their headers(at least not to my knowledge) and produces the kind of consistent results that Borla does in this aspect of aftermarket tuning. That said, I do not mean this in any manner of disrespect to Tony. I am serious. I just know that Borla is, at least on the cat-back topic, more consistent than Flowmaster.....Now..Back the the question at hand....So....What is it? Superchip or Hypertech? I'm hearing people lean towards Superchip...Is that the general consensus? Keep it coming....

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires
PIAA 9007 Super-White Headlights

I dunno about Hypertech... I must say I dont recall anything bad about them... but nothing good either... Superchip is mostly positive... as far as our exploreres go... id like to see a set of hedmans and a flowmaster go against a borla set up... I would put some money that the results would be the same, if not very close.

nick

Hypertech chip

I have the hypertech chip in 2 of my vehicles (94 XLT and 92 Vette) and in both cases it made a big improvement in driveability and seat of the pants acceleration. Especially in the Explorer which couldn't get out of it's own way until I added the Chip & KKM induction...the flowmaster was of less noticable improvement. By all means, worth the money..it's like a totally new vehicle!

Great....Now I am completely confused....I have been to both sites(Superchip and Hypertech)...They both seem pretty much the same, so which one do I choose? And how? You guys need to reach a general consensus or something, cause right now it's Hypertech 1, Superchip 1....Which is it guys? :) Please help me out....Any pluses or minuses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires

I really like my Hypertech. It was reasonably priced ($200 at Autozone), seems to adapt to each mod I do, and the engine itself actually runs quieter due to the higher efficiency (notice I said engine, not intake or exhaust). In some engines, it can actually run 89 octane (with less mpg and performance) if 93 is unavailable. I've run 89 with my chip before 'cause I was out in the boonies with not many gas stations. No pinging like you'd get with a Superchip. Needless to say which I recommend!

Ok...So now it's
Hypertech 2
Superchip 1
Anybody gonna defend Superchip? Keep in mind that what I want is power and little or no loss in mpg....I am more concerned about power, rather than mpg....What do you think guys? I, right now, am leaning towards the Superchip because it is cheaper and there seem to be more people who are satisfied with it....Let me know guys....Hit me back

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires

Speaking of MPG, I get 25 hwy and 20 city with my Hypertech :)

Ok....here's the way I'm gonna do this so that I get a final answer. It will be the first to 5....The score currently is:
Hypertech - 3
Superchip - 1
Perhaps this is not the best way to do this, but I need some way to compare and contrast. I've heard now that apparently you can get an amazing 25 MPG on the highway with Hypertech, which definetly sticks out in my mind, but I still am liking the Superchip idea. Let's hear some more(bad or good) about the Superchips guys....Come on....Game's on!! Hypertech only needs 2 more good replies(determined by me) to win! (God, I am such a freaking dork.)

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires
PIAA 9007 Super-White Headlights(adds 40 hp :) )

Hmm.. this is intresting. I always thought superchip was the brand of choice on this board. Well.. If I remember right... I think superchip does more programming than the compitition... something like every 400rpm instead of 500rpm

nick

Score:
Hypertech - 3
Superchip - 2

It definitly sounds better to have improvements made every 400 RPMs rather than every 500 RPMs. Again, my main view of "what is best" is which has the best improvements in power and overall performance(with a little MPG as a side order). So....Keep em coming...Looks like Superchip is coming back a little....Hypertech only needs 2 more to win though.....Keep it coming! :)

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires
PIAA 9007 Super-White Headlights(adds 40 rearwheel hp :) )

I hear superchip allows you to travel through time...

Nice to see SOMEONE has a sense of humor. Hey Nick, go to the "Who's the best" thread started by me....I'm callin for ya in there.....Need your input man...

Score:
Hypertech - 3
Superchip - 2

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires
PIAA 9007 Super-White Headlights(adds 40 rearwheel hp :) )

ya....but my Hypertech chip alowed me to smoke the tires and lay down some rubber in the middle of the afternoon with a cop just 3 cars behind me....not my fault....saw a lifted excursion....had to look at it....floored it and watched the smoke build up behind me. :)

Man.. you sport people can smoke your tires with just those mods? I just got the ability to after all my work. sigh

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya like that one don't you.....add a k@n drop in with a covered airbox....jacobs wires....and bosch 4 plugs and I'm set.

ps....the Lifted excursion plus the 90degree heat on the road didn't hurt either.

Back