Superlift Frame Crossmember | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Superlift Frame Crossmember

Here is the bracket that i am thinking of and im sure that Nick is talking about the same one. It bolts up to the spot the stock radius arm X member was bolted to using the same holes. you can see where the sway bar would bolt up to if it was in behind the beams. In our case, it is a cross member, nothing more. It is some what sturdy and would add a bit of strength.

Attachments

• 43630030.jpg
    43630030.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 153

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FireZapper said:
Never said anything about welded. It's bolted.

Then you've had some front end damage haven't you?

Right infront of that hat channel you have infront of your hooks SURE looks like it is welded, or is that painted Bubble gum? :eek:

Just pointing out what I see.

Looks like your core support mount is welded to the frame also.

Bad bad bad.

OH BTW that bracket is there for the swaybar mount as that is where the X-member used to be and the bushings are attatched to that mount.

As for strength???? It's got nothing.

If it really made that big of a difference then why hasn't Skyjacker or better yet James Duff supplied a bracket to support that area?? Cuz it's just not needed.

The pic that Infragate posted is the exaxct one. I was going to get a pic up tonight to help clear this up but he beat me too it. Thanks for posting the pic. I was thinking it was mainly for a vehicle with a rear sway bar but wanted to make sure. And i did notice that it would be really close to my d-shaft.
Thanks,
Nick Good

Did you buy your lift kit new or used Nick? Reason i ask is cause i thought they stopped sending out that X member with the new kits. I bought mine used and it came with the kit, but i never did put it in either. It is alot stronger than the stock bracket but the stock bracket was 2 pieces bolted together for the radius arms. Skyjacker included a crossmember that replaced another for the radius arm brackets they made but as Joel stated they never added a X member to that area either. Basically its up to you, if it helps you sleep at night, put it in. ;)

Sorry yes it is welded. The bolt was fron the swaybar mount.

As for the wrecked comment. I checked the 92 in the back yard and it has the same bar.
pic012.jpg

pic011.jpg

I bought the kit new a while back from Rocky Mountain Suspension. Maybe it is one of the old kits they still had at the warehouse.
Nick

Firezapper, i have never seen that crossmember on many explorers but i can't say that i really paid any attention to it either. The steering gear i put in mine is from a sport from the scrap yard that was mint but i can't remember if there was a X member in the front of it. But since you provided the additional pic, it seems it is factory. I am sure it isn't a bad thing due to the fact that it isn't far from the crossmember under the engine which is welded onto the frame rails, and am pretty sure it is ok. The X member under your motor is welded to the frame rails and is a crucial X member, anything just out from it really wouldn't create any problems with flexing but would add support to that X member and its welds giving them additional support. Alot of people will say that the X members welded to the frame will create problems and i agree but when there are a few welded side by side like that in front and rear, that is a pretty solid chasis in my opinion. Twisting is a problem when it isn't supported by additional xmembers, but it looks like it is all taken care of. ;)

Nick, maybe they are still selling the lift with that X member, im not entirely sure. What did you decide, are you gonna put it on, and also, hows the lift commin along, i really want to see how your truck is turning out. And most important, how do you like it?

I most likely will not put that bracket on. It just seems like it would add very little , if any strength to the frame and just be in the way.The lift is coming along good. I just have a mainly the brake lines and pitman arm to do. Its just been hard to find the time to work on it. i have a real hectic schedule. When I get it done ill post some pics.
Nick Good

Back