• Register Today It's free!

Suspension Lift Help!!

Blake A

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, Alabama / Searcy, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
im looking for lift kits for my 01 sport trac. will a ranger lift work or are they too different? i can get a 4'' ranger suspension lift for $481:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year Ranger is the kit for? What lift kit are you looking to buy?

its for a 97 ranger and its a tuff country ez-ride

Nope, the totally different setup.

great. are there any suspension lifts i can rig up thats cheaper than the $2,000 sport trac lift?

What kind of lift are you looking to get (height)?

What type of offroading do you do (exteme or weekend casual offroading)?

JohnnyO said in another thread
cheap to lift a little and expensive to lift a lot.
Torsion twist and shackles + alignment...1.5" for cheap.
Body lift...2" or 3" for $200 + install.
Superlift 4"...$2000 + install.
Dixon Bros. long-travel desert race setup...$4500 + shocks + install + wider fiberglass front fenders + paint = $6500 if you're lucky.

id like to fit 33's but would rather get rid of the TT and get a suspension lift. its mostly weekend runs and my daily driver through the week.

I wouldn't bother with any kind of suspension lift unless you go to a solid axle. Just get a body lift and put 33s on there. Bigger tires are the only way to really lift anything anyway. Even if you put a Superlift on there and kept stock tires, you've still got the same ground clearance.

Until you get bigger tires, you're just raising the overall height, not really gaining any suspension lift. If 33s are the size you want, body lift it for a couple hundred, slap on the 33s and be done with it.

awesome! ive really wanted to do a SAS with front and rear D44's but it sounds pricy.

Only worry abot the front axle as the ford 8.8 is actually stronger then the DANA 44. Check out the offroad section, primarily the SAS build index and you'll get plenty of ideas for your truck.

So far chad551 is the only ST on here with a SAS, SOA but Hugh and I aren't far behind him, looks like there's a couple other members that have ST's that want to do the same.

wow i didnt know that. im just getting started on my trac and already have a list as long as my arm.
hopefully i can join that list soon.

I may have a front D60 and rear D70 coming my way in the future. That would be totally uncharted waters for the ST, or Explorers, as far as I know. Depends on a couple situations, money included, but they're sitting at the barn right now. If my soon-to-be brother-in-law doesn't have the time to get them on his Jeep before starting med school, I may just take them off his hands. I'm not even sure how possible it would be, but the awesome factor would be off the charts. Those axles would be nearly indestructible under a ST. Not that I'm hoping he doesn't get them installed or anything...

Otherwise, I'll continue my search for a D44 and reading everyone else's projects until I feel confident enough to tackle this job. Oh, and I'll need a few thousand dollars. Please donate to my solid axle fund now.

Whoa i havent even thought of that with the stock 4.0 if you pull this off you're going to have one a boss of an ST! You'll have to put the build in a thread for everyone else here.

Haha yeah i looked up new D44 kits for the sport trac and the $2,800 price tag really ruined my excitement.. Soo im looking for a used one now.

I've also heard from someone I trust that the supercharger for the 3.8 can be put on a 4.0 with minimal work. That seems easier than doing the 5.0 swap I have wanted to do. More homework to do, great...

So, if I get my way...
4.0 supercharged
D60 front, D70 rear
37" H1 surplus wheels/tires

Or my other, original way...
5.0 N/A
D44 front, Ford 8.8 rear
35" MTs

Either way, I'll be happy.

A dana 60 up front is not any different than a Dana 44 other than it is stronger axle. You will still install it the same way either linked or leafs. There are several Explorers with Dana 60's up front. And if you put the correct gears in the axle a 4.0 will turn 37" tires all day long down the highway and on the trails.

Also Blake where did you see a D44 kit for a Sport Trac?

it seems like super charging a 4.0 is kinda like drops in a bucket...why not a 5.0 conversion. Then look around for a EB D44 for the front, so the with is not an issue then run the rear 8.8 and re-gear them both to 4.10 and run a locker out back(aussie for the selectabillity)....bur be careful if you go leafs up front the road manners can be...eh

I have leafs up front on my sport trac and it handles great. Actually handling is better then it was stock. And Aussie lockers are not selectable. ARB lockers would be a selectable type.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

selectable was the wrong word lol...they are un locked till there's spin then they lock up.....and without a trac bar i thought front leafs are sketchy?

Back