suspension options for under $1000? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

suspension options for under $1000?

TDX Dogg

Reaction score
City, State
Deer Lake, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
About two weeks ago I did the torsion twist/lowering block 3" drop so that my X would look and handle better, both of which were achieved. The only problem is that the ride is horrible and without anyone trying to fix my alignment or camber, I'm up sh*** creek and will probably have more problems soon. I need to know what I can do for around or under $1000, $1200 MAX. Bags are too expensive so I was wondering what all is involved with Ranger mods.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After a 3" drop you are probably sitting on your bumpstops if you havnt cut them. That would make things very bumpy. You would probably have to run 1/4" or 1/2" bump stops on the front and cut the rears down quite a bit. If you havnt done that, do it and see how things feel. You should be able to get a shop to align it for you. Even if it's not perfect anything will be better than it is now. You can also upgrade to lowered shocks and change the bushings on your swaybars.

Talk to Jamest if you can catch him when he's sober. (J/k James ;) ) He did something with his upper control arms but I don't think it worked out. I believe he also knows about ranger parts and has something up his sleeve.

I had mine dropped 2" rear and 2 1/2" front and it's borderline in ride quality. No allignment and shocks can give you back your ride quality with a 3" drop. Sorry.

I recently RAISED my front end 1/4" up to get some ride quality back (wife's suggestions ;) ).

As for the bump stop, here's mine. I rarely bottom out with cutting 1/3" off it. But then again I ONLY drop it 2".
372697_32_full.jpg

find someone in you're area that builds circle track/drag car chassis. ask them what they would charge to build you some shorter tubular lower control arms and make some mounts for a set of coilover shocks. this will eliminate the use of the torsion bars, give you a good alignment at virtually any height, and if the guy is nice will only cost about $1000-1400. this is the only option other than bags.

How reliable is that, James? Wouldn't that throw everything off since it's no longer within the factory specs? Has anyone actually done this successfully?

if you get someone with experience to do it, it will work great. thats why i suggested finding someone local who builds dirt track cars. the purpose of using shorter lower control arms (or longer upper's) would be to fix the alignment issues you have with a 3" drop or more. the coilovers will fix the ride. someone who knows what their doing can build it so it will align.

I really want to drop my 01 X Sport, but this is the exact reason why I havn't. I'm thinking about only going about an inch just to get rid of some of the gap. I wouldn't loose much ride quality with only an inch drop right?

Thanks.

Explorer Express sells the kit to drop the Explorer 1 3/8". They are proven to have better ride control with about the same ride quality or better than stock. So, yea, your more than okay for ONLY an inch drop.

i cruised mine around for a month or two with only a measured 1" drop, and i couldnt even tell the difference in ride. for the record, since ive had my truck at many many different heights, here is my own personally rating scale on torsion bar explorer ride height vs. quality...

0"- 100% ride quality

1"- 90%

1.5"- 85%

2"- 70%

3"- 50%

4"- 20%

5"- 1%

as you can see from my "memory" scale, ride quality is so-so at 2", but goes south very quickly after that.

You had your truck drop 5"?

yup, and the 1% is being nice. :D

some time when you're really bored, read this thread...

Dead Link Removed

Well, I was bored and read it. Skipping everybody else's comments except yours and Hartman's. I must say, that was an incredible project. The thought of doing all that work without guaranteeing the outcome take some 450 lbs balls. LOL..

You never did get the picture of the control arm installed. Also, did you get the leaf springs from JOHN V.?

no, i didnt get the leaves. i never bothered taking a pic of the control arm installed because 1- i was gonna wait until i got the coilovers and 2- i never went with the coilovers.

i have since discovered that (surprise, surprise) it was useless as a tow rig at that height. i got hung up at the boat ramp at the begining of this summer trying to pull out the ole party bardge. i realized that if i was gonna have it that low and also have it useable it would have to be bagged. its currently back up somewere around a 2.5" drop.

Back