Swap 4R70W to replace 5R55 in 02 2WD Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swap 4R70W to replace 5R55 in 02 2WD Explorer

racprops

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6 4WD
Found a path to replace my sick 4.0 V6, swapping in a 4.6 V8 from another 02 Ford Explorer.

One mismatch is the 5r55 on the 4.6 V8, it is part of a 4WD system. My 02 4.0 V6 is a 2WD.

So my 5R55 is a V6 2WD transmission so will not bolt up to a 4.6 V8.

So as I will need a transmission. As much as I liked the 4.0 and 5R55 5-speed I am too well aware of its rep for failure.

SO I am planning putting in a 4R70W 4-speed because of their Reps and I have a buddy that rebuilds them.

So my $64K question has anyone done this swap?? I would love help in doing this swap.

I believe I will need reprogramming for the PCM from the 5-spped to the 4-speed.(I hope)

And perhaps a new transmission mount?

And I fear a custom drive shaft.

Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4r70w iirc will not bolt up to these motors, it goes behind a 5.0 or 3.8, the 5r55 series and the 6r series iirc will bolt up though. i do think its easier to make the 4r70w run standalone and then program the trans out of the pcm, not too sure if stock PCm can work w the 4r

edit: realized this is a dead thread

4r70w iirc will not bolt up to these motors, it goes behind a 5.0 or 3.8, the 5r55 series and the 6r series iirc will bolt up though. i do think its easier to make the 4r70w run standalone and then program the trans out of the pcm, not too sure if stock PCm can work w the 4r

edit: realized this is a dead thread
Killing me smalls. He was asking about swapping transmissions while swapping engines. I'm wondering if any of the vehicles that had a 4.6 and 4R70W could use the pcm in the explorer?

Killing me smalls. He was asking about swapping transmissions while swapping engines. I'm wondering if any of the vehicles that had a 4.6 and 4R70W could use the pcm in the explorer?
ohhhhhhhhhh i see! there were combo that used the 4r and the 4.6? is that the vic?

ohhhhhhhhhh i see! there were combo that used the 4r and the 4.6? is that the vic?
Crown vic, mustang, F150 are a few I can think of. I'm wondering how racprops is doing? Haven't seen him on lately

Crown vic, mustang, F150 are a few I can think of. I'm wondering how racprops is doing? Haven't seen him on lately
i didnt know a stang came with the 4r70w behind the 4.6! good to know. and yeah, havent seen any posts lately

i didnt know a stang came with the 4r70w behind the 4.6! good to know. and yeah, havent seen any posts lately
The 96-04 used the 4r70w in the v6 and v8 mustang. Same unit in both, the 95 and older v6 4r70w was weaker than the v8 version.

The 4r70w was used behind the 4.6 and 5.4 even in trucks f150 and expeditions even some f250 ;)

Back