• Register Today It's free!

Sway bar linkage?

Afaulker

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I noticed the other day that my EX was pulling to the left while driving on the highway. I check the control arm assembly (drivers side) and noticed that the sway bar linkage that connects to the lower control arm is gone! I was just wondering how easy of a fix this would be for me to do, or should I just send it in to the shop? Thanks! Oh ya it's a 2000 sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My sway bar linkage has gone twice (on same side) and I managed to replace it , and I am a one spanner rated D.I.Y. mechanic according to the Haynes manual.

Hi, and welcome to the site. The sway bar link is probably a 10 minute job, but I don't think that will fix your pulling to the left problem. When was the last time you had an alignment?

Ditto, and the broken end links usually only happen in very cold climates. That is common with those OEM steel/plastic end links. I have my stock links on at 174k, they are better than the ES which came in a kit(the ES links are too long). Go to the Energy Suspension website and find the end link kit part number, search on internet, and order. Good luck,

I broke the tops off of both sides bombing down a mountain road in WV last month. Mine were so corroded though that it took a friend and I almost an hour with a wrench before we finally got them out with a hacksaw.

Once the old ones were out though, maybe 20 minutes tops. I got my replacements from PepBoys and I want to say they were only about $15 each.

my pass side link nut snapped off and i drove at least 30 miles of interstate with the link draggin the ground. didnt notice it till i got to work where we had a poly bushing sway bar end link kit in stock.. maybe $16. grabbed a jack and had the new one on in bout 20 mins. i say 20 bc i tried my best not to get dirty.

crazy, yea same thing happened to me. i was like why am i swaying so much? i checked my quick connects and they were fine so i looked under the front and wtf... the linkage was gone haha ill be picking 1 up soon.

aeaglenfitch.. did you mount your hella's to the brackets that extend off the core support that the header panel mounts to? and if so what did you do about your tranny cooler, relocate? just wondering. bc i dont feel like spending money on a light bar.

aeaglenfitch.. did you mount your hella's to the brackets that extend off the core support that the header panel mounts to? and if so what did you do about your tranny cooler, relocate? just wondering. bc i dont feel like spending money on a light bar.

lol i did a really crappy job, i mounted them to the plastic of the air dam. it's pretty sh**ty but when i fint time im gona weld a piece of steel in there and mount them on that.

IS there a link to what I need to get at AutoZone or PepBoys? My friend was changing my breaks last night and noticed both sway bar linkage bolts were missing and said he could put them on Sunday if I get them, but when I looked at autozone.com there was nothing that looked like a simple bolt like he made it seem like it was.

Thanks!

2tall, just go to the parts counter and ask for sway bar links. You want to get the whole link and not the bolt. Your's are likely broken and the links are a replace, not repair item.

You can evern take off one of the old ones for comparison, just to be sure you get the right thing. Your truck is totally drivable without them. In fact, you've been doing so for a while most likely. Just watch the sharp/quick turns.

A quick note: the replacements I put in looked a bit different then my stock ones. The replacements I got had a metal sleeve over the link instead of being plastic coated and had better bushings. Much better IMHO. Just be sure that you stack the bushings right or have someone show you.

Really easy job though and the links should only run you about $15-20 each.

THanks Jeff,
That's what I was planning on doing Friday when I went to get them, but I thought I'd ask to be sure. The guy that's going to do it on Sunday works for a car dealership so he knows what he's doing- he's going to do them after he does my rear brakes which he noticed I needed done yesterday. Thanks the for help.

Back