'98 Front Suspension: Sway Bar <=> Links | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 Front Suspension: Sway Bar <=> Links

csmicfool

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLS
I drive a 99 XLS 2WD.

The front suspension has been making a ton of noise. Mostly when I hit bumps, but lately when I'm turning the wheels too. The noise is much louder on the driver's side.

I took a look at the parts and everything seemed normal/undamaged except for the links from the control arms to the sway bar.

On both sides of the car the sway bar links had about 4-5" of play in them. It's like a piece is missing from both sides. When either wheel goes through a full travel there is a clunking noise cause the sway bar finally gets some tension on it.

My question: How much travel should their be on either side, if any? In my previous vehicles the link bolted pretty much straight to the sway bar without any play. Shouldn't it be the same for my Ex?

What does everyone else's suspension look like with regards to where the links meet the sway bar?

Indeed, they should be solidly linked with bushings at either end. Get the new ones and you'll see what we mean.

-Joe

Back