Sway Bar Links

Algar

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
00' Eddie Bauer
Hey there,

the sway bar links on my 2000 Explorer have lost the bushings on them and are hanging freely so need to be replaced. Can i just do this as it is or do i need to remove the sway bar entirely? (everything I find explains how to do it as a whole.

I have checked the bushings on the sway bar and they are fine or I would have done it all together.

I just want to do this as quickly and easily as possible. Any Tips?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You do not have to remove the bar. I assume you are describing the front bar. If so, you may be able to buy new bushings. Or, Just buy new links,then remove and replace the broken ones. Jack up the truck and support the wheels so the bar does not have any stress. If the rear, you must get new links.

Hi,

Yes I'm on the front bar, but did not want to remove it if I didnt have to.

Can I just do this from the floor without jacking it up. There shouldnt be any stress on it now right?

Thanks

Alex

Hi,

Yes I'm on the front bar, but did not want to remove it if I didnt have to.

Can I just do this from the floor without jacking it up. There shouldnt be any stress on it now right?

Thanks

Alex

correct.
the actual sway bar stays.
The end-links are really nothing more than a super long bolt with a metal or plastic sleeve.

you will most likely need more than just the bushings, especially if it's an OEM piece, since they get rusted up good. Some people end up needing to the link in half to remove it.

The truck does not need to be jacked up to replace the links. Also, look around online for Deeza Chassis Parts links part #mrl610. These are factory type units and the best for the truck. The others I have seen and used with poly bushings or rubber fail regularly. I found mine on amazon for cheap.

It doesn't have to be jacked up, BUT I think you will find it quicker and easier jacked up with the wheels off.

Thanks for the help guys,

Got it done in less than an hour (or would have been if autozone put the rights parts in the right boxes).

Got it done with wheels on the floor without much ado. I just used the $14 ones from autozone in the end. We'll see how they last.

Thanks for your help

Back