• Register Today It's free!

Sway Bars

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
For a long time I've been running with Tokico shocks and bigger sway bars in my '91. These were purchased as a kit from John Baker some years ago.

However, with Michelin LTX MS tires pumped to 32-35 psi, the ride is a little harsh. The suspension upgrade kit was originally tuned for the stock Firestone ATX tires (no doubt running only 26 psi, as originally recommended).

So, I decided to put the stock sway bars back on. The ride improved, but predictably, the handling
suffered (though its not bad with the Michelins and Tokico shocks).

Suppose I keep the stock front bar (23 mm dia) but put back the bigger rear bar (18 mm vs. stock 14 mm bar)? Would I get the best of both worlds or the worst? The stock front bar seems beefy enough, but the stock rear bar looks awfully skinny. I realize that its a tradeoff between ride, suspension articulation, and handling. I just don't want to do anything that will make it unstable.

Thanks gang.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Beleive me, your truck is not unstable even in stock form. Also, going to a bigger bar in the rear will not help much, if at all. It's the front bar that does the majority of the work. I pulled my rear bar off about a year ago, and the first time I drove it the only thing I noticed was that the ride was smoother.

Thanks,Jason, for the quick response. Based on your experience, maybe the rear bar just contributes a little fine tuning.

A co-worker of mine who has a 92 or 93 reported that he got a big improvement in handling just by replacing the Firestone ATX tires with Michelin LTX and replacing the stock shocks with Trailmasters. I think that he may be right. I'll drive around a bit more and see.

Tokico has an interesting suspension tutorial on their web site: http://tokicogasshocks.com. Though some recommend bigger sway bars for improved handling, Tokico says that bigger bars reduce the tire adhesion, which degrades traction in snow and ice and offroad.

"Unstable" was a poor choice of words, but I was watching the 60 Minutes expose on the evils of SUV's, before I turned it off in disgust. I never learn....Should have given up TV for Lent!

Thanks again.

Yes what is most important to learn in the suspension world is that everything is a trade off. I've had so many long talks with my dad about this subject.

And tokico is definitely right - anti-sway bars are a no no offroad (unless you do prerunning).

Also, I would stay away from the generic trailmaster shocks and look for something that is more tuned to suit your vehicle. Everyone has great things to say about the bilsteins.

The only "constant" I have found about suspensions is to look for products that are "tuned" to your specific application.

Bob,
Try using polly bushings on your stock sway bars. It will definatly take care of the roll.

Try using polly bushings on your stock sway bars. It will definatly take care of the roll.

Ray- Where can you find Poly Bushings for the stock sway bars? Thanks.

Eric

Thanks for the replies, guys,

Jason, from reading the mail on shocks, the only ones that I would consider are Bilstein or Tokico. For now, I'm sticking with the Tokico's that I ave now, until they wear out, or I feel like doing another "science project".

Good top on the poly bushings, Ray. I had them on my bigger after market sway bars, but they wore out. I need to find a better lubricant to keep this from happening.

Eric, we can check out the Energy Suspension web site. They may list the righ bushings for the stock bars. I measured the stock sway bars in my '92 at 23 mm (front) and 14 mm (rear). The front bar after '94 is different, of course.

Bob: I also have the John Baker package kit with Tokico shocks and larger swaybars which I purchased in 1995 for my 93 EB. I found it to be a great kit for my purposes; mostly highway towing. I now have about 116K on my truck. Tokicos, I have found, have great handling and reliabilty, althought have always been a little rough for me. I recently replaced the rear Tokicos with Monroe Air Shocks. While they do lift the rear when the trailer is hooked up, it seems the shock portion is a little light compared to the Tokicos I took off. So like you, I am considering replacing all with new Bilsteins and trying a Hellwig helper spring kit. Looking forward to hearing about the ride quality you receive with Bilsteins compared to your Tokicos as both our early Explorers have basicly the same suspension. Thanks Mike

:redexp: Ditto on what Ray said - poly bushings make all the difference in the world. Loose the factory sponges, slap in the poly and away ya' go.:redexp:

I tried dissconnecting mine and I decided to leave them undone and drive a little on the street. The ride was amazingly different and much better. So I yanked them off when I got home and now I don't ues them. The front can actually act like a real IFS now and the rear just feels smoother. So I am now not a fan of sway bars.

Rebel Yell - The limit for signatures is 6 lines. Thanks.

so...

for a 100% street ex, after better shocks, is it poly bushings & aftermarket bars or no sway bars at all? If i understand right, the ride is better without sway bars, but cornering is better with the stiffer ones...right? :confused:

Ok I was told to rake off the rear sway bars on my 98 X I was told the front was the one doing most of the work, and that on the highway we would never miss it, but offroad we would really appreciate the added flex.

Is this true

Thanks again in advance from a newbie, who's trying to learn

3B; what shocks did you end up going with? If you bought adjustable ones and plan on keeping the rear at a stiff setting, you may want to try taking off the rear one and giving it a try... on the street!! Taking off the rear one or disconnecting it while off-roading will give you some more traction and not won't limit you as much as having it connected. BUT; not to down your wife at all, but if she is the primary driver on the X for street use you may want her to test drive it while it is disco'd and see if she can tell the difference. Just an idea.

Hi Douglas
I ended up gettting the Monroe Sensatracs, because of the sale at sear with free installtion. So far they seem to do a good job on and off road, but I've only had them for two weeks. If I had known the had the Ranchos on sale too I would have gone with them, but they did not bother to tell me until I had the Monroes on for a week and a half.

I was a little disapointd only getting 1.25" out of the Warrior Shakles though wass really hoping for about two.

Anyway thanks for checking in
3B

Well there are quite a few on this board with the Monroe Sensa-Tracs, so you are not alone. Hopefully they will suit you well; and anything I have been told is better than stock. I am waiting on $$ to pull mine. Did you get the TT ?'s you had answered?
Let us know how you decide on disconnect the sway's permanantly. I haven't disco'd mine yet even to off-road and I am curious what kind of difference it really makes.
:D

I did do the TT and Shackle lft over the weekend, and only got 1.25" out of itI have 31" tires on it so I have jst under 9" at the rear diff, and about 10" at the lowest part of the front suspention.

I think I'll ask a buddy to drop the sway bars and ad add a leafs with in the next few days. Fou Wheel Drive Part store has a pair of singe add a leafs for for $40.00. The only problem is I have to drive to Riverside to get them and Riverside SUCKS outload.

Back