Sway Bars | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sway Bars

Hike

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
My 1993 Explorer sure could use some bigger sway bars. Especially the rear with is 7/8 diameter. 1 inch or more would be nice. But can't find it..... Help

My 1993 Explorer sure could use some bigger sway bars. Especially the rear with is 7/8 diameter. 1 inch or more would be nice. But can't find it..... Help
When I bought my 93 XLT 5-speed in 1997, one of the first things I did was install Bilstein shocks and mega front/rear sway bars with poly bushings from IPD (I had a sporty Volvo sedan and was a believer in big sway bars). While it handled great on pavement, I didn't realize the negative effect it would have off-road. I still kept them on because it made driving more fun on paved roads, and that was most of my driving. :)
When I bought my '93 Limited Automatic a while ago, instead of switching the sway bars, I kept the originals but swapped the bushings for poly. Kind of a best of both worlds. If I would have kept driving the 5-speed (which I actually like better, but my aging knees don't), I would have made sway bar disconnects for off-road.

When I bought my 93 XLT 5-speed in 1997, one of the first things I did was install Bilstein shocks and mega front/rear sway bars with poly bushings from IPD (I had a sporty Volvo sedan and was a believer in big sway bars). While it handled great on pavement, I didn't realize the negative effect it would have off-road. I still kept them on because it made driving more fun on paved roads, and that was most of my driving. :)
When I bought my '93 Limited Automatic a while ago, instead of switching the sway bars, I kept the originals but swapped the bushings for poly. Kind of a best of both worlds. If I would have kept driving the 5-speed (which I actually like better, but my aging knees don't), I would have made sway bar disconnects for off-road.
I have a 65 an d a 73 Volvo with sway bars, before and after installing heavier bars, front and rear. I did that also with a 65 Volkswagen bus, on the front and a leaf spring on the transaxles... With all the rollovers of long ago, yes it was the tire pressures, but sway bars in the hands of Explorer owners would have made some one a bunch of money.

would have pictures?

Back