Swaybar kits for 92 stock Explorer - Addco or Hellwig? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swaybar kits for 92 stock Explorer - Addco or Hellwig?

My impression was that 1020 and alike are not considered "high-carbon", but I did not find exact numbers for what carbon percent is "high". Another consideration was "stress-relieved" which, AFAIK, is usually done by hammering, and hammering is a very good thing for application like this...

..I just wanted to add...

..Stress relieving in this case would either be done by "Quenching" and or heat..

..Depending on the material and the strength they are shooting for, either reducing the heat temperature to a lower level for a set amount of time after forming or heating the parts up then "quenching" with oil or water at a set temperature for "X" amount of time would relieve the stress on the material making it less brittle and aligning it's molecules to a less stressful state..

..This has quick chart info on steel grades based by their numbers and what they represent..;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_steel_grades

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, maybe it's different Michelin model... mine are marked "Michelin X radial LT". Or maybe it's that I simply forgot how inertial the Explorer is, after 3+ years of driving Nissan 300ZX wearing Pirellis... the cheapest Pirelli, of course :D but still Pirelli.

Reading this and that... I accidentally found another interesting way of reducing body roll: "by removing the bottom overload leaf on the rear"

It's mentioned by kirlinla at Singleton's "Changing Ford Explorer Shocks" page: http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/web/pages/shocks.html

Full quote reads:

" ... you can also improve the ride by removing the bottom overload leaf on the rear of your Explorer to soften the spring rate. This will help eliminate the side to side rocking you get when going up/down a diagonal surface. It will drop your rear-end by about1/2" and reduce your load carrying ability a little, but it will dramatically improve the ride quality without any expense to you."

I don't like dropping the rear, but if it's only 1/2" - I can leave with that. Or just add some flat piece to avoid dropping.

Reducing load carry is more serious - any ideas of how much? The biggest load I carried inside was about 1000-1200 pounds (of Quickrete, he-he) and I would like to keep the ability to do so again if needed.

And the main question - theoretically, I think the leaf springs softening should work for reducing body roll, but did someone experienced the effect in reality?

The Michelin X Radial LT is very similar to the LTX M/S, it's still a good casing and an all-season tread, just a slightly different tire that was sold by certain retailers so they never had to price match the much more widespread LTX M/S.

Removing the overload spring will have the effect of softening the rear spring rate some, and improving the ride, sure. But if you want handling, the last thing you want is a softer spring rate. Improving the "ride" means making it ride more like a luxury car, and those handle like a boat. If you want handling like a sports car, you want FIRM springs to reduce body roll. Removing the overload springs also isn't a good idea because they provide needed support to the spring pack. It's better to have them than not. As for the side-to-side rocking, a softer spring rate will reduce it, sure, but that rocking is because it's a solid live axle in the rear, not just because of the leaf springs. An independent suspension doesn't rock side to side nearly as much, but it still does some, especially if the rear has a stiff sway bar.

I would say keep the overload and stick poly bushings in the leaf springs.

Thanks again, Anime. Excellent analysis.
I would say keep the overload and stick poly bushings in the leaf springs.

I agree. I did not find the carrying capacity numbers for the 1-st gen, but for 2006+ Explorers the payload is around 1400-1500 pounds. So, my 1200 pounds Quickrete (plus me :) ) exercise was almost at the limit. And, remembering how flat, or even slightly bent upwards were the leaf springs during that hauling... I don't want to be without the overload leafs when the next occasion happens.

It's also a bad idea to try to do backyard re-engineering of things designed as an assembly, like leaf springs, on vehicles that will see use on public roads.

Like I said, that overload spring provides support -at all times- to the leaf spring pack as a whole. When you take out a spring from a pack, or the overload spring, and remove that support, it's a very real risk that one spring, maybe even the main spring, will crack or break apart where it was supported before by the other springs or the overload spring. Sometimes this isn't too much of a problem and the other springs will keep the pack together, and sometimes vehicles are driven like this for weeks or months before the driver even notices an issue, but I would say generally it's not worth the risk.

If you wanted softer springs on a 4-door, I would say to use leaf spring packs made for a 2-door. If you want handling, I'd do the polyurethane bushings all around and spring for the sway bars if you want to spend that much.

You may also consider replacing the body mounts with polyurethane mounts from Daystar. They do make a kit for the Explorer and if the stock rubber mounts are in poor condition, replacement with the poly mounts really takes care of the body roll caused by soft body mounts as well. They can really be a heck of a job to replace, though.

If you want handling, I'd do the polyurethane bushings all around and spring for the sway bars if you want to spend that much.
I already did... waiting for delivery. Then I'll start sorting out which bushing I need to replace.

You may also consider replacing the body mounts with polyurethane mounts from Daystar. They do make a kit for the Explorer and if the stock rubber mounts are in poor condition, replacement with the poly mounts really takes care of the body roll caused by soft body mounts as well. They can really be a heck of a job to replace, though.
Wow... I was thinking about worn body mounts contributing to body roll, but I did not think it's even possible to replace them... any case, I doubt I will ever venture this. I love my X, but there must be the line between sympathy and obsession :D

Back