Aftermarket Rear Sway Bars in 2021: Hellwig vs. Addco | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Rear Sway Bars in 2021: Hellwig vs. Addco

97Sandbox

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Seward, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Hi all,

I'm wanting to pick up a larger/stiffer rear sway bar before they all disappear like the EE ones have. The top contenders I'm seeing are the Hellwig 7648 and Addco 633. Both are advertised as 1" diameter and the main difference I see is Hellwig claims to be chromoly while Addco says high carbon steel -- both are similar in price. Anyone have experience with one or both of these sway bars?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm using the Addco 633 and have no complaints about it's performance. The axle mounts and bushings are somewhat lightweight, but haven't worn or failed after 40,000 street miles. However, almost all the black powder coating has peeled off so I'll probably remove and repaint it. Good luck getting ANY of the three you mentioned since they are all discontinued. I believe the Hellwig would be the easiest to find since it was the last to be produced. IMO, upgrading the rear sway bar is by far the best handling and safety upgrade for a street driven truck providing your suspension is sound and you have good tires and shocks. Good luck.

Ditto, and I'd prefer the Hellwig if there was a choice. I've had two Addco bars custom made, and the hardware they include is a lower quality than the best stuff like Energy Suspension would use. Right now is a bad time in general for buying anything, the economy and inventories are down all over. Likely that will continue for a while. Addco twice has been willing to make a larger bar for me, the first was in about 1988, the last was for my Explorer around 2007. I'd ask them again if they would make a bigger one, the size of the EE bar is excellent. But right now is not likely a good time to ask for special services.

Well, you guys called it; I called an online retailer last week who said they could get the Hellwig 7648, but yesterday they informed me that Hellwig is no longer making the sway bar. Went ahead and ordered the Addco 633 from a different site today -- hopefully it's not another unfulfillable listing!

Cool, really hope you can find one. Was the site you ordered from SD Truck Springs? Reason I ask is I've been looking for the long discontinued Addco 737 front sway bar for a while and they still list it. Even if they had it in stock the cheapest shipping to Hawaii is $151 UPS second day. That would bring my total to over $462. Maybe I should just call them to see if they physically have one and have less expensive shipping options. Larger aftermarket sway bars are very heavy. Please keep us posted with your results.

For your 1997? If so you may want to confirm fitment. Addco 633 shows 1998-01 and Hellwig 7648 shows 1995-01. WTH?

You DON'T want to eat return shipping on these. GL

Was the site you ordered from SD Truck Springs? Reason I ask is I've been looking for the long discontinued Addco 737 front sway bar for a while and they still list it. Even if they had it in stock the cheapest shipping to Hawaii is $151 UPS second day. That would bring my total to over $462. Maybe I should just call them to see if they physically have one and have less expensive shipping options. Larger aftermarket sway bars are very heavy. Please keep us posted with your results.
Yes it was. I saw the Hellwig and Addco rear bars listed for sale on their site and suspected they were actually unavailable. I called and talked to a guy who said they were both in fact available, but to expect shipping delays.

I ordered the Hellwig due to Don's comments about poor Addco hardware, because it's supposedly 4140 chromoly steel, and because it cost less than the Addco.

When SD customer service emailed me saying the Hellwig bar was discontinued, they offered to sell me the Addco bar at 5% off as long as I chipped in the difference (around $15 I think). However, I saw the Addco bar cheaper on Jegs so I ordered it there and just asked SD for a refund which they assured me I will receive in 3-5 days. For what it's worth, SD's customer service team has really been responsive and professional throughout this process and I wouldn't hesitate to try ordering from them again.

For your 1997? If so you may want to confirm fitment. Addco 633 shows 1998-01 and Hellwig 7648 shows 1995-01. WTH?
I saw that too, but if I understand correctly, the exterior geometry of the 8.8 rear end is the same on all '95-'01 Explorers, so I took the chance. I know the front bar changed for '98+, but I'm pretty sure the rear was the same maybe even as far back as '91 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!).

@97Sandbox

Just a heads up. Saw this on the JEGS ordering page for the 633.
Free Shipping - Estimated to ship directly from the manufacturer on 06/28/21
Cant say I've had the best customer service there. Had to call them THREE times to issue a refund for an item listed in stock when they were out.

I'd honestly be shocked if it shipped that soon! Manufacturers across the country are so backed up right now it's unbelievable. Steel prices are through the roof, no one can keep assembly operators, and resin markets are still all over the place trying to stabilize after Texas froze up. I'm glad I don't work in procurement haha!

I've ordered a few minor things from Jegs in the past and never had issues, but I'll see how this goes and let y'all know!

OK, I thought you believed it was in stock. If Addco is going to custom make one for your JEGS order, I'm wondering if they're doing it for all dealers. Either way I hope you get it, and once installed the improved cornering and handling will amaze you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well done, that's good effort to find a bar and get it, supplies are bad all over right now. I hope it does get made and shipped.

OK, I thought you believed it was in stock. If Addco is going to custom make one for your JEGS order, I'm wondering if they're doing it for all dealers. Either way I hope you get it, and once installed the improved cornering and handling will amaze you. Good luck and keep us posted.
I wouldn't say custom make exactly (that's something I did ask the SD truck springs guy -- if he could request custom diameters from Hellwig or Addco), but I do get a sense these bars are made to order if they're made at all. Surely after a couple of decades, demand has dropped to the point where there's no reason to keep them in inventory. It's too bad the sway bar wasn't shared with the Rangers, then we may have had a better chance!

On 4/13/2021 I ordered the Addco 1"rear sway bar part number 633
I just received shipping info from Summit that my sway bar has shipped and should see it by next week. Wow it's gone up almost $81 since April.

On 4/13/2021 I ordered the Addco 1"rear sway bar part number 633
I just received shipping info from Summit that my sway bar has shipped and should see it by next week. Wow it's gone up almost $81 since April.
I ordered mine from Jegs in May and it's suposedly shipping next week too! Maybe Addco was waiting to build up a few orders to justify running a batch.

My 737 1.5" front bar already came in and looks nice.

I ordered mine from Jegs in May and it's suposedly shipping next week too! Maybe Addco was waiting to build up a few orders to justify running a batch.

My 737 1.5" front bar already came in and looks nice.
I hope I'm not sorry, I opted to run the stock sway bar in front, just couldn't justify the price for a new one with only about 0.16"difference.
I spent extra to get ES bushings, 18" Wheels and plan on lowering it a few inches.

I hope I'm not sorry, I opted to run the stock sway bar in front, just couldn't justify the price for a new one with only about 0.16"difference.
I spent extra to get ES bushings, 18" Wheels and plan on lowering it a few inches.
As I understand it, the bar is about the same diameter but a stiffer alloy steel. That said, when I swapped for the ES bushings on my '97, they made a noticeable improvement on their own.

What are the widths and offsets of your rims? I've been looking at upgrading to some 18s as well.

What are the widths and offsets of your rims? I've been looking at upgrading to some 18s as well.
I went with Wheels Replicas Cobra R 18x9 with +24 mm offset.

I went with Wheels Replicas Cobra R 18x9 with +24 mm offset.
Those look great! I've been looking at some very similar Cobra R-style rims and have been considering 18x9ET30 for the front and 18x10ET24 for the rear. I'm expecting to use spacers to bring the front wheels closer to the factory offset. Do your 18x9ET24 rims rub at all in the front at stock height? I too am planning to lower 2-3 inches.

The tires don't rub with normal driving, only had them rub a couple of times in parking lot hard turn with a dip or vehicle lean. I was really worried about the fit going in, but I really couldn't be happier

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome! That sounds like the exact setup I want to go with. So you're not running any spacers with the +24 offset?

Back