• Register Today It's free!

Switch placement

Boose1980

Reaction score
City, State
South carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford explorer
Ok I'm installing off-road lights on my 91 this weekend. Can't decide where to mount the switches. Any ideas? Where have y'all mounted yours? Pics? Links?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on if yours is a limited or not. Below the headlight switch is a plate that goes unused on mine. I believe it's for the rear wiper or defrost or something along those lines. If that's not available to you and you don't want it ugly, you could wire a relay into your high beams to trigger your offroad lights, you wouldn't even need a switch then.

Yeah, the blank plate (for the factory fog light switch that was an uncommon option) under the rear wiper/washer/defogger switches is a good place since it's made for a switch.

Some people prefer to use a protected switch with a cover in case their knee hits it or something. You may also be able to fit a pair of switches on there instead of just one, in case you want to control the lights as pairs if you're mounting more than two lamps.

Sometimes it's nice to be able to turn on just two lamps, or have a set on the brush guard on without having a set on the roof on, rather than only have either all the lamps on or all the lamps off.

I found a Limited fog lamp switch at a junkyard, put it in the stock location (below rear defrost and rear wiper switches) and it worked great while looking factory. It is a good quality lighted switch and though you'll still want a relay it will look like it belongs.

Back