Switchback LED's installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switchback LED's installed

Last week I ordered a pair of VLED's V3 Triton Switchback LED's. After a few problems I finally got them working properly this afternoon. My problems began with a bad turn signal socket. The replacement arrived this morning. The instructions called for using a 5 amp fuse to activate an internal resistor to prevent hyperflashing. It didn't work. I ended up removing the fuse and tapping 60 ohm, 50 watt resistors into the turn signal harness. After that they worked.

Here are some photos and a video of them.

i-VpS4bZZ-L.jpg

i-BBpLsdn-L.jpg

i-R6pQX8x-L.jpg

i-QZTr9Ww-L.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You couldn't use the LED flasher for them? I was going to use resisters but once I found out I could just plug in a new flasher it was a 30 second simple fix. They do add a nice touch though I love mine.

2010's don't have flashers. Everything is done through the SJB. Great idea right?

Looks good. How was the price on those bad boys?

Yeah, debating on getting 2 kits then for my Ex since I have 4 bulbs that flash. Gonna be a little pricey but I think it'll look good.

I'm looking into getting some of those, but I can't find anywhere that says how to wire them up to a car without DRL's. As far as I understand, they have to be wired to a power source to turn on the white LED's when all the lights are off, so how did you do it?

Thanks!

I never added a constant power wire to make them DRL's. The white lights would come on as my parking lights and switch to amber with the turn signal. You may be able to activate DRL's with Forscan.

Okay, so did the white leds turn on as your parking lights when the car is on, or do you have to turn on the parking lights on the knob inside the cabin?

Also, how did you fix the LED hyper flash? I read that simply replacing the flasher relay doesn't help, so that leaves resistors. How did you mount them as to not melt the plastic engine bay? Also, what wire do you connect them to? I'm assuming it's the yellow one which controls the blinker input.

Thanks again for your help.

I turned them on using the switch. The resisters never got hot enough to melt anything as they only were used when the turn signals were on. I think you are correct in assuming it is the yellow wire. I remember finding a wiring diagram online, maybe even here, to determine which wires to use. I just looked on my computer and I no longer have it saved.

So did modify the parking light controls at all, or did you just leave the taillights and the license plate lights on?

Back