Switched/Ignition On Power Source (installing heated seats) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switched/Ignition On Power Source (installing heated seats)

AzXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
I've been through the fuse boxes both under the hood and in the door jam... can't find any switched power source. Everything is hot with the ignition off.

Anyone know of a good switched 12V power source that could handle about 20A draw?

Thanks in advance....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been through the fuse boxes both under the hood and in the door jam... can't find any switched power source. Everything is hot with the ignition off.

Anyone know of a good switched 12V power source that could handle about 20A draw?

Thanks in advance....

Decided to use a relay and just run a wire in from the battery. Found a switched wire in the console. Not sure what its function is... but since it only powering the relay not concerned about the draw on that circuit.

Seats work NICELY!

Nice to have a warm bottom! I have a kit to install. Some day I will get to it.

Nice to have a warm bottom! I have a kit to install. Some day I will get to it.

Yes... these old bones really appreciate the heated seats. I've put them in quite a few of the vehicles I've owned/own!

What kit did you use for the seats? I have a 96 with power seats I want to install it on. Did you remove the seats from the truck to do it?

Yes... these old bones really appreciate the heated seats. I've put them in quite a few of the vehicles I've owned/own!

I don't have a pair of the hog ring pliers but I will do it once I fix the truck. I was going to run a relay to turn them on with the autostart but it may take me a while to trust that thing again. Bottom rad hose let go when running on the autostart and cracked the heads... parts are in finally, will keep me busy next weekend.

What kit did you use for the seats? I have a 96 with power seats I want to install it on. Did you remove the seats from the truck to do it?

Got the kit from Autowarm.com

Yes you have to remove the seats. My seats needed to be rebuilt (foam and springs) so I sent the seats to local upholstery shop... had then rebuild the foam etc. and put the heating elements in the seats. So that was all done for me.

I did the electrical to the truck. Put the switches in the sides of the consoles just forward of my knee (passenger knee). There is plenty of room in the console for a relay and the wiring. Ran a power wire to the relay straight from the battery, through the rubber boot around the steering column. Found a switched power (ign on) in the console and used it to fire up the relay.

Works nicely.

Back