Switching wheel size and TPMS ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switching wheel size and TPMS ?

johnnutah22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 xlt
Hi, I have an 06 xlt with 16s. I actually like the look of the 2004,05 17's. If I switch to a larger, wheel what will I have to with the tire pressure monitor? Is there a way to disable it with out the light always being on? Also will 265/65 17's fit on the 06 explorer? Thanks so much, first time explorer owner.
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

regarding the tire pressure monitors.....you'll be able to reuse the actual monitors and will just need to get a new set of straps for your larger wheels.

Why disable it? I don't want to sound abrupt. But why not just get the existing TPMS sensors off of your 16's and have them "re-banded" on to the 17's.
The TPMS is actually a very good system to have in place, and your cost to have the stock system transfered to the 17's should only be approx 200 with new bands and sensor saddles. ( Don't forget the "sensor training session" when all four are mounted and wheels are back on the truck. )
I wish you luck, and,
Best regards,
MSH

Thanks

Yeah I found out that that may be the best route. I'm now checking if it will effect the warranty because of an outside diameter change with larger wheel and tire (going to 265/65 r17)and the speedo. One tech says yes the other no. I'll let you all know when I find out. thanks,

using diferent rim / tiresize doesn´t affect the TPMS if equipped at the rims. It will still work. Tiresize can be programmed w/ Ford WDS or SCT XCal-II.
Have fun !

I have a 2005 Explorer Limited I went with a factory 18 wheel and I have the TPM failure light. I am not sure if the new factory 18 wheels have what is needed can you recommend who can help make these corrections

Bringing the topic back from the dead, lol.

Will the 265/65/17's fit an '06 without rubbing/turning issues? Stock is 245/45/17, I'm getting a really good deal on the BFG T/A Ko's. Overall diameter change is 3.38% and spedometer will be off by 3KM/H, is this a noticable difference?

Just keep it in your head that the gauge will be off a bit. Or, you could goto your friendly neighborhood Ford shop and have them reprogram the computer for the new tire size. Then it won't be off at all.

--Chris

Thanks. There won't be any problems with rubbing an turning as such will there?

Should be OK. The overall diameter isn't much bigger. But you'll probably want to check it out to be sure.

--Chris

Back