• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 CONVERSION

NavigatorV8

Reaction score
City, State
Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer LTD 2016
upgraded my XP from SYNC 2 to SYNC 3. Now i need an other USB HUB to use AppleCarPlay. Who knows the right HUB?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the part that I got for mine. You also need the plug to supply power to the new USB hub. It's different from the one you currently have. You need to look at your current plug and USB to match up to the adapter that you'll need. Go to www.4Dtech.com for the adapter.

USB Hub:
HC3Z-19A387-B

Controller - Ford (HC3Z-19A387-B) | TascaParts

What Version Software are you running on the Sync 3 unit?

This is the part that I got for mine. You also need the plug to supply power to the new USB hub. It's different from the one you currently have. You need to look at your current plug and USB to match up to the adapter that you'll need. Go to www.4Dtech.com for the adapter.

USB Hub:
HC3Z-19A387-B

Controller - Ford (HC3Z-19A387-B) | TascaParts

This is NOT the correct part for the Explorer if you want to keep the other USB port in the center console. The correct part is HU5Z-19A387-A. I am running Sync 3 v3.0 build 18025. Both ports are working with Apple CarPlay.

This is NOT the correct part for the Explorer if you want to keep the other USB port in the center console. The correct part is HU5Z-19A387-A. I am running Sync 3 v3.0 build 18025. Both ports are working with Apple CarPlay.

The part number I posted is for 2011-2015 Explorers that don’t have the second USB in the center console. 2016 and newer use the one you posted.

PlatinumOwner, Yours is a 2016 so you needed that hub because of the second USB port in the console.

thank you, solved

Is that in the 2014 Explorer that you have listed in your profile? If so, Can you change the audio source by using the steering wheel controls for the right side dash screen change to the Bluetooth Audio Source? Or do you have to use the sync screen to change the source to it?

On my 2014 Limited, I lost the ability to switch to Bluetooth using the steering wheel controls on the right side dash screen when I switched to Version 3.0. It was normal when it was running version 2.3. Im curious if an IPC software update will fix the issue.

i have to use the screen. With the steering wheel buttons i only can use the seek button for select the next title or radio station and of course the hands free option. The volume knob are not working. is your system OEM or did you perform a conversion from SYNC 2 to 3?

i have to use the screen. With the steering wheel buttons i only can use the seek button for select the next title or radio station and of course the hands free option. The volume knob are not working. is your system OEM or did you perform a conversion from SYNC 2 to 3?

I did the MFT (Sync 2) to Sync 3 conversion on my 14. My steering wheel controls all work. With Sync 3 version 2.3, I could select all of the audio sources using the steering wheel controls through the right dash screen With version 3.0, Everything still works. I just can't select the Bluetooth Audio Source using the steering wheel. I have to go through the Sync screen. Once on it, I can use the steering wheel controls to change tracks and all.

can you send me a screenshot from your FORScan APIM data please? Thats mine:

7D0-01-01 2221 001A 386E A= DAB+, 1= Traffic Message Control
7D0-01-02 0A01 4000 0227 A= NAVI
7D0-02-01 554B 0004 007E 554B= european
7D0-02-02 8200 0000 005D
7D0-02-03 0000 DC
7D0-03-01 014B 5800 007F
7D0-04-01 0103 0200 0BED B= bluetooth name (Ford Explorer in this case)
7D0-04-02 0001 DE

can you send me a screenshot from your FORScan APIM data please? Thats mine:

7D0-01-01 2221 001A 386E A= DAB+, 1= Traffic Message Control
7D0-01-02 0A01 4000 0227 A= NAVI
7D0-02-01 554B 0004 007E 554B= european
7D0-02-02 8200 0000 005D
7D0-02-03 0000 DC
7D0-03-01 014B 5800 007F
7D0-04-01 0103 0200 0BED B= bluetooth name (Ford Explorer in this case)
7D0-04-02 0001 DE

Sorry I didn't get a notification that you replied to this thread. I just logged on for the first time since I last posted. I'll grab the screen shot of it later today or tomorrow and post it. I can say for sure that your numbers are off when compared to mine. I remember most of my configuration because I looked it over numerous times before making changes.

Sorry I didn't get a notification that you replied to this thread. I just logged on for the first time since I last posted. I'll grab the screen shot of it later today or tomorrow and post it. I can say for sure that your numbers are off when compared to mine. I remember most of my configuration because I looked it over numerous times before making changes.
Hello, I have a 2014 exp ltd as well and have upgraded to sync 3 v3.4. My steering wheel controls all work except for voice control rocker button and the seek button. I would also like to see your APIM settings and SCCM settings is possible to perhaps address my issues below.

For context, I upgraded using a Sync 3 (with nav) screen v2.0 from a 2017 ford Escape (junk yard salvage) after the upgrade, I've been looking into fixing the following issues and have been hoping to get some information on fixes. If these are things that any of you observing this thread have solved I would greatly appreciate it.
  1. Time on Sync 3 screen showing 12:00 always, and the clock on the dash display showing --:-- (right of speedometer)
  2. Climate Control (Dual) not working as expected. The dual button on the HU only toggles off but can’t be toggled on, while the button on the climate control unit does the opposite??
  3. Steering wheel voice control rocker and ‘Seek’ not working at all. Is this something that is wrong on my APIM setup?
  4. USB port says not working properly – error messaged received on startup. However android auto does work, but phone doesn’t seem to be charging. Do I need to get another USB unit?
    1. For context, I am now looking for the upgraded USB hub (HC3Z-19A387-B or HC3Z-19A387-B or hc3z-19a387-e or HC3T-14F014-BD) and will re-post here when it's been installed.
  5. GPS Navigation says not working properly on startup but does actually work properly. How can that error message be removed?
    1. on that note, yes it actually works on the sync 3 screen, but, on the instrument cluster, the distances are wayyy out of whack???
  6. Bluetooth pairing name (Want to change from focus to explorer??)
  7. Rotary volume not displaying on screen when volume adjusted.
  8. Volume fade (left, right, rear, front) and EQ settings when changed immediately snap back to neutral. Not sure why?
  9. Parking assist does not work at all anymore.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Hi Navigator,

I was able to fix almost all my problems with APIM programming. anything that is left over is hardware related I'm almost positive. See thread 2015 Explorer Sport - upgrading Sync 2 to Sync 3 - have few ?'s

Back