Sync 3 ForScan question for those who are in the know... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 ForScan question for those who are in the know...

Losdogdagreat

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello Peeps, I recently installed a sync 3 screen and APIM (from a 2017 ford focus) in my 2013 Explorer XLT w/o Nav. The backup camera and steering wheel controls work, but I don't have a climate app on the screen. I anticipate that I will need to utilize ForScan to update and configure my APIM and my question is, do I really need to pay for the many online configuration companies or is this something I can do on my own? I already have the cord that works with ForScan and I see that many people say that there is a database of configs - but I really don't understand how to make this work with my 2013 xlt. Do I have to pay the folks online for the file, or is it easy enough for someone that is tech savvy.

Thanks in advance - this fourm is great and I would not have had the confidence to make the bracket mods if not for this forum!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't use FORScan but I believe it is free with the extended license. Forscan question

Peter

If you haven’t used forescan before you may want to pay someone to send you a config to load. I had previously done small forescan changes, but it was well worth the $59 to get Dan to supply the config. I used:

That said, if you aren’t in a hurry and have time to research online you can figure it out. Just make sure you backup your configs before changing anything in case of mistakes.

I don't think you need to pay anyone to use it, here is the video that I used to get started (make sure you backup all your modules prior to making any changes), I haven't used forscan in a while but I believe you just right click on each one and there should be an option to back them up.

Here is the spreadsheet I used to make changes, I believe it is maintained by either someone on this forum or f150forum:

Take a look at the tabs at the top, common settings should work across multiple vehicles and then there are tabs for other specific types of modifications (IPC variants, Sync 3 vs 3.4, etc..)

What I did was create my own spreadsheet, take note of the original values and then add the changed value in a column next to it. This way I did the changes one by one, verified it worked and then if something went funky I was able to easily revert back without having to go back one by one to see what the issue was.

Get the extended license, watch the video, and follow the above steps and you should be good to go.

I don't think you need to pay anyone to use it, here is the video that I used to get started (make sure you backup all your modules prior to making any changes), I haven't used forscan in a while but I believe you just right click on each one and there should be an option to back them up.

Here is the spreadsheet I used to make changes, I believe it is maintained by either someone on this forum or f150forum:

Take a look at the tabs at the top, common settings should work across multiple vehicles and then there are tabs for other specific types of modifications (IPC variants, Sync 3 vs 3.4, etc..)

What I did was create my own spreadsheet, take note of the original values and then add the changed value in a column next to it. This way I did the changes one by one, verified it worked and then if something went funky I was able to easily revert back without having to go back one by one to see what the issue was.

Get the extended license, watch the video, and follow the above steps and you should be good to go.

im looking into the spreadsheet, do you happen to know what the years in the color column mean?

Does that mean "target vehicle" or "donor vehicle"?

Example, my explorer is a 2013. If i get one from a 2017, would I follow the APIM code edit for a 2017 in the "16-23MY" column or the "11-15MY" column??

does anyone know??

This is about getting my vehicles features, a 2013 ford explorer XLT, enabled on an example 2017 APIM. This is for the features such as Climate controls and heated seats on the screen, auto-climate control, steering wheel controls, voice controls (though as im mainly wanting car play, i will mainly use SIRI) and most important, APPLE CAR PLAY.

Search autotrader or similar for the most similar trim 2017-2019 explorer to your current explorer. Download your as-built and that vehicles as-built from motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt, then use the Ford F150 spreadsheet for sync 3 apim, go one item at a time and compare them. Main issue will be the settings for CGEA 1.2 rather than 1.3 that you'll find in the 2016+'s as the 11-15 don't support 1.3. Or if it mostly works just use the cyanlabs as-built database and find the lines for the missing features and enable.

im looking into the spreadsheet, do you happen to know what the years in the color column mean?

Does that mean "target vehicle" or "donor vehicle"?

Example, my explorer is a 2013. If i get one from a 2017, would I follow the APIM code edit for a 2017 in the "16-23MY" column or the "11-15MY" column??

does anyone know??

This is about getting my vehicles features, a 2013 ford explorer XLT, enabled on an example 2017 APIM. This is for the features such as Climate controls and heated seats on the screen, auto-climate control, steering wheel controls, voice controls (though as im mainly wanting car play, i will mainly use SIRI) and most important, APPLE CAR PLAY.
Did you ever figure out the climate stuff? I paid the 60 and it works great but the idea of the heated and cooled at the bottom of the screen. And knowing my temp without exiting Android auto would be nice. For last 2 years I've been guessing or having to go out of AA to confirm.

Did you ever figure out the climate stuff? I paid the 60 and it works great but the idea of the heated and cooled at the bottom of the screen. And knowing my temp without exiting Android auto would be nice. For last 2 years I've been guessing or having to go out of AA to confirm.
If you set Climate to Auto, you won't have to guess or constantly check. It will keep the temperature at whatever you set it at. I change mine twice a year for spring/summer and for fall/winter.

Peter

While using AA/Carplay you can't see any of the info on what the car is doing. In newer cars you can see the climate temp and fan speed as a brief overlay when changed, but it doesn't work on 11-15s. And heated seat info is only available outside of AA. Basically both AA and Carplay are screen casting the device to your car and the car can display certain limited overlays over it when things change. For an 11-15 explorer the only one that actually works is the volume control display.

While using AA/Carplay you can't see any of the info on what the car is doing. In newer cars you can see the climate temp and fan speed as a brief overlay when changed, but it doesn't work on 11-15s. And heated seat info is only available outside of AA. Basically both AA and Carplay are screen casting the device to your car and the car can display certain limited overlays over it when things change. For an 11-15 explorer the only one that actually works is the volume control display.
well that stinks... and as for peter, i change my temp depending on what im wearing or whos in my car. sucks we can't get the popup overlay. also i can't stand the stupid touch controls and sucks we can't change them out either. the truck otherwise is great. cheers everyone.

Back