• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3, Sync 4 and 2020 Explorer.

TheWombat

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 CX-9; 19 Abarth 124
I’ve seen a couple of mentions of Sync 4 in threads but further research doesn’t indicate any roadmap and the Explorer 2020 comes with Sync 3.

Anyone know how different the Sync 3 in the 2020 is to the existing Sync in the 2019 Explorer?

Is there any expectation of Sync 4 being released?

TheWombat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sync 4 will be coming but not in the 2020. From my understanding, it will be upgradable via software unlike MFT to Sync 3.

Can't wait. More cool stuff to play with.

my understanding is sync 4 is new hardware - but the OS will be similar or same as the current sync 3 system update.

the new box has more processor, more ram, faster wifi, new BT standard (though if you have a 2019 it's probably the same), will work on USB 3.1 standard and support USB C implementation (doesn't mean it will use that though). Few other features. but there is a hardware update comes across the family. Not every platform gets it at the same time - supposedly the 2021 F150 gets this too.

Support for larger screens, multi-screen, rear screen, etc. But I can't confirm if all of that is true and you might not see all the features in the first year.

Nice video with more looks at the LARGE display and new/updated Sync interface, mostly in the last half:

I cant stand when someone does a video and doesn't know what they are talking about. If you want to do a professional video, know your product!!

No mention of ST power difference over Platinum.

Mentions 3.0 is available on Limited (wrong).

A LOT more towing = 600lbs??,

Sunshades are optional.. (standard on some trims).

Standard screen is 6.3 or 6"?? Which is it?

Multicontour seats are on ST and Platinum ( IF you get the tech package, not standard)

Not sure which gets wireless charging??

I cant stand when someone does a video and doesn't know what they are talking about. If you want to do a professional video, know your product!!

No mention of ST power difference over Platinum.

Mentions 3.0 is available on Limited (wrong).

A LOT more towing = 600lbs??,

Sunshades are optional.. (standard on some trims).

Standard screen is 6.3 or 6"?? Which is it?

Multicontour seats are on ST and Platinum ( IF you get the tech package, not standard)

Not sure which gets wireless charging??

Maybe these people review hundreds of vehicles each year. Maybe they just don't know the details or each Explorer trim levels... Not everyone is as informed as we are on this forum here. :)

Maybe these people review hundreds of vehicles each year. Maybe they just don't know the details or each Explorer trim levels... Not everyone is as informed as we are on this forum here. :)

The presenter is the sales manager of a Ford dealership, Long McArthur Ford in Kansas. All confirmed details should be known by now, order guides have out for months.

You'd be surprised how much Sales Managers, salespeople and even some techs don't know about a product even after it has been on the market for a while. This Forum is full of examples.

Peter

You'd be surprised how much Sales Managers, salespeople and even some techs don't know about a product even after it has been on the market for a while. This Forum is full of examples.

Peter

Personally, I'm not at all surprised, it's par for the course with salespeople.

The presenter is the sales manager of a Ford dealership, Long McArthur Ford in Kansas. All confirmed details should be known by now, order guides have out for months.

I'll cut the guy some slack though - even the order guide has been updated since release. SO Some things are still being resolved it seems.

to smokes point there are a lot of things missing it seems.

I'll cut the guy some slack though - even the order guide has been updated since release. SO Some things are still being resolved it seems.

to smokes point there are a lot of things missing it seems.

I won't, not that it makes a difference. He's a sales manager, not wet behind the ears.

Again, can't say I'm particularly surprised though, this sort of thing is par for the course with dealerships.

I’ll second what was said above about going from Sync 3 to 4 - my guess is once the current hardware is replaced that’s when the 4 will come out. Everything will be new versions of Sync 3 until then. Unlike MFT the press and owners seem very happy with Sync 3 so Ford will be cautious about rolling a fully new system out.

Also no reason to revamp yet - already has android auto and car play.

How difficult is it to implement wireless CarPlay support?

Would it be possible to allow or add improved background selections? Would be cool to be able to use the Ford Performance splash screen as a calm mode selection. Or even a dark mode version of the overall interface.

How about user control of the home screen widgets? Ability to choose 2 items instead of 3 and their positions on the screen.

How difficult is it to implement wireless CarPlay support?

Would it be possible to allow or add improved background selections? Would be cool to be able to use the Ford Performance splash screen as a calm mode selection. Or even a dark mode version of the overall interface.

How about user control of the home screen widgets? Ability to choose 2 items instead of 3 and their positions on the screen.

Backgrounds - User uploaded ones have never been supported. Probably part of the NHTSA driver distraction guidelines for potentially distracting images. You can change your splash screen and default theme via forscan. You can set a night theme. My wife does that as she prefers the dark blue default over any other options.

Wireless CP/AA - My understanding of it is this is a big change/effort to add support.

Widgets - My guess is this would be another fairly large change. The half screen Audio doesn't really do much more for you than the quarter screen, nor would Phone. You also have other configs where there are seat, steering, EV controls in that lower right quadrant.

I'd like to know how you keep the damned thing working. Mine freezes and is unresponsive often. Today, the screen was responding, but there was no sound. Usually, the screen doesn't respond at all. Whatever was on the screen won't change. I've updated the software twice. I've not seen any posts addressing this. Is mine the only one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know how you keep the damned thing working. Mine freezes and is unresponsive often. Today, the screen was responding, but there was no sound. Usually, the screen doesn't respond at all. Whatever was on the screen won't change. I've updated the software twice. I've not seen any posts addressing this. Is mine the only one?
Your far from alone. Since the last couple of SYNC updates this has been an issue. When you lose sound do a soft reset and that should restore it. It sounds like the next update should resolve these issues,

Back