• Register Today It's free!

system upgrade

green99_svt

Reaction score
City, State
grayslake, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 sport 4x4
i currently run a avic d2 head unit with a kicker 700.5 5 channel amp. using 2 svc 4 ohm infiniti kappa perfect subs and a sealed encloser. i have the amp mounted to the box and want to regain my cargo area. my thought is to buiild a hideaway style box to hold a single kicker l7 subwoofer dvc 4 ohm, the amp seems to be perfectly matched to the 8" l7 specs. as it is the bass over powers the other channels and has to be run turned down. my question is how hard do the l7 hit will it be enough? i listen to metal/ alternative rock music so i dont need to get a beating. Ive head that the l7 8" can hit like a 12. any suggestions will be helpfull. Note not interested in the mtx or q logic boxes as they cannot hold the 420 watt rms of my amp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i currently run a avic d2 head unit with a kicker 700.5 5 channel amp. using 2 svc 4 ohm infiniti kappa perfect subs and a sealed encloser. i have the amp mounted to the box and want to regain my cargo area. my thought is to buiild a hideaway style box to hold a single kicker l7 subwoofer dvc 4 ohm, the amp seems to be perfectly matched to the 8" l7 specs. as it is the bass over powers the other channels and has to be run turned down. my question is how hard do the l7 hit will it be enough? i listen to metal/ alternative rock music so i dont need to get a beating. Ive head that the l7 8" can hit like a 12. any suggestions will be helpfull. Note not interested in the mtx or q logic boxes as they cannot hold the 420 watt rms of my amp

if you are running the same amp, its not gonna make a very big difference which sub you are using as long as it can handle the power. that sub will hit hard and you will be satisfied. i would suggest making your own box that you can fit wherever you want it to. take a look at this one that i made for my truck.

Attachments

• Finished Box.jpg
    Finished Box.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 213

What size Infinity subs do you have? Are you happy with the output of you current subs and are just trying to free up some cargo space. As you know sound is a pesonal tastes. So knowing how you like the current set up would help to give you a recommendation.

Thanks guys,

d mac i like your box and im picturing something almost just like that. I will be incorperating a amp mount also to place the amp above the wheel
i currently have 2 10" infinity's. they sound nice and everything but i do have the gain on the amp turned down and bass pulled from the eq in the hu. when i turn it up i really like the boom of the tens and the relitivly quick tight bass they can produce so yes im happy with the sound. currently if i dont turn the subs down they will over power the remainder of the speakers as it is run at 2 ohms and the others at 4. my plan is to run my mb quart reference 6x8 componens bridged on the amp and run the rear pioneer 6x8 coaxial speakers off the head unit. i think this may put some more highs and mids in the front were i desperatly need them. it will place the fronts at 165 watt X2 in front rms. and whatever the pioneer hu amp is in the rear. then the sub will be at 420rms. this is per the manual that came with the amp and it rates at14.4 volts wich i wont see so the numbers will be less than that. i like the idea of quicker bass but dont want to loose any low frequency 15-20hz or so. so its kinda a catch 22

Do you guys think that a single 8 will be adaquate for this setup or should i step up to a L7 10" dvc and build the box a little larger. i plan to build from fiberglass so i think i can get a cubic foot in the rr corner if i build outward to where the wheel well is.

i am by no means an expert at stereo specs but i do like to read. if you know of any good links or articles by all means.

Thanks again,

Andy

I would say go for 10" you can always turn it down. But if the 8" does not put out enough you would have wished you went with 10"

I would also reccomend a single 10" over a single 8".

ive decided to use the 8" l7 to save some space. also the 2 current tens hit much harder than i will ever use. i feel the 8 will satisfy my listening style. the box will be a glass mdf combo

i just installed the mb quart components today and they just scream. while im working with glass im going to install a dsp in the console compartment under the hvac to help with some eq flexibility that my d2 does not do well.

Back