• Register Today It's free!

Complete System Upgrade!

Rob2000XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Okay I have been looking into upgrade my entire audio system for some time. I am going to replace my cd player, my speakers and add a custom enclosure sub.

CD Player:
Pioneer DEH-P4300
Some features that I pose questions to later:
* MOSFET50 amp chip
* two sets of preamp outputs
* rear preamp outputs have selectable low-pass crossover (50, 80, or 125 Hz) and level control (+6 to -6)
* wireless remote
* 22 watts RMS/50 watts peak x 4 channels

Speakers:
Pioneer TS – A6855 2 way 6x8 speakers
* frequency response 30-28,000 Hz
* recommended power range 2-50 watts RMS
* peak power handling 150 watts

Sub:
MTX Amplified Thunderform

I am getting the cd player for $170, each pair of speakers for $43 and the sub for $340.

Will the new headunit send enough power to opperate the speakers properly? Should I try to bypass the factory amp or integrate with it? Do I need bass blockers on my speakers? ( I often see these in Crutchfield) And lastly would that headunit be able to control the rear sub??
Oh and please feel free to give your opinions on this setup or if there is something you would change because nothing is set in stone right now.
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey,
So should I bypass the factory amp or not?? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

I would remove the factory amp and buy a good four channel amp to power the four 6x8's. You already have to run power and rca cables for the sub, so it's not all much work to add an additional amp and I think you will be much happier with the results. I've never liked using power off the head unit because of all the additional heat it produces. Heat kills electronic componets so let an external amp do the work and it'll sound better and your head unit will have a longer life.

what size amp would I need?

That would depend on a few things, but any 4 channel amp would do the job. How well you want it to do the job and how much you are comfortable spending are the determining factors. I run a sony 50W x 4 max and have been pleased with its performance.

go pioneer go

Shouldn't the 50x4 power of the pioneer be enough, i think they have a pretty high RMS too.
(there is never enough)
Profile amps are plenty cheap if you know where to find them.
Anyways good luck with the system!

That 50x4 spec is peak power, not RMS. Most head units really can't realistically do more than 20-25 watts per channel RMS, if that. Plus, an aftermarket amp will put out much cleaner power than a head unit would. Just mount it in the back panel where your factory amp is when you install the Thunderform. As for what kind of amp, 50x4 RMS is a great starting point for those Pioneers. Check on Ebay to see what kinds of deals are there. Also check www.mmxpress.com and www.carmedia1.com. Personally, I'd stay away from Profile. They're about the same quality as Pyramid, Rockwood, etc. I'd take a used Xtant, PPI, etc. any day over a new Profile. Also, check the amp forum at www.sounddomain.com for more ideas.

In addition, look for an amp that has a built-in crossover. That way, you wouldn't have to use bass blockers, and you can better integrate the front speakers with the sub. Bass blockers simply cut off all frequencies below a certain point, while a crossover rolls them off, allowing a much smoother transition.

Yes, the head unit can control the rear sub. Run the rear channel preamps to the Thunderform. Then you can select the crossover point (I'd recommend the 80Hz setting), and you can control the level at the head unit as well. Looks like that's exactly what Pioneer had in mind too. Good luck!

peace

Mike

Hey Rob, if you can afford it you should go with the 3-ways instead of the 2-ways, you wouldn't believe how much difference it makes. I had the 2-ways in mine and switched to the 3-ways after I blew out the 2-ways. Good luck.

powering your system

the pioneer headunit will be perfect for the 2-way 6X8's. definitely bypass the factory amp. i have the same speakers, and a similar head unit, and it sounded so much better after diconnecting the factory amp.

if you want your system to sound MUCH MUCH BETTER, then get kickpanel pods (Q-logic makes them about $150). drop in some
5 1/4's that handle a lot of power and run an amp to them. set the crossovers so you dont get deep bass through them. that way they wont distort.

the 6X8's will be a fill in sound, while the 5 1/4's are the front stage with perfect stereo imaging. drop a sub in the back to handle the lows and you're set.

you will never want to leave your car.

traffic will be a blessing. sit back and enjoy your music.

hold off on the thunderform!

the thunderform is a good idea, but not practical for bass response. the enclosure is too small and distorts the sine waves. also is not braced internally. this causes flexing during certain frequencies. if you want your system to sound right, get a good subwoofer with a good enclosure. if you dont want to give up any cargo space at all, i suggest putting the enclosure under the rear seats. this can be done, there is plenty of room for 2 good 10" subwoofers. you can have a sealed enclosure, or better yet have ports firing forward. you can even carpet it the same color as your interior. people will be impressed by not only the sound, but also the appearance of your system.

good luck, and let us know how you made out.

Back