Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OKlahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
Okay So I have a:
Kenwood KAC-7202
  • two-channel car amplifier
  • 150 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (230 watts x 2 at 2 ohms)
  • 460 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms (4 ohm stable in bridged mode)
  • 920 watts max

Power Acoustik PW3-15H
  • 900W RMS
  • 2600W max

so should I get new amp or new sub, kinda thinking of a new sub, but not sure what I need to look at, something that's not gonna break the bank.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Id get a mono amp. The one you have now will work, but the sub wont be hitting as hard since it's underpowered.

Keep that amp...good amp. Good clean power.

That sub...scrap it. The parameters suck. The motor is too weak for the subwoofer. Not very versatile subwoofer.

There is better for the same price...much better. PA subs are low quality.

any recommendation on a sub, that would work well with my current amp, that wouldn't break the bank then

sql or spl? you going with a single sub or two? ported or sealed? sticking to 15?

Well need something to go god with some heavier rock, which means sealed I think, doesn't matter what size 12" or 15", need a new box anyways, really just want to go with one sub. not sure what sql means, but spl is db (how loud it will get, right?) just want something that sounds really good with heavy rock

Found a sub I like, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3D212, and it says for a sealed enclosure it needs .75 - 1.25 cubic feet, how big should I build the box, don't want anything too big, and want to be able to pull the cargo cover over it, how many cubic feet should I build a box for it?

I personally have two 12" RD classics that hit very hard with only 800w shared between them. They're rated at 500w rms. One of those would probably go great with your amp in a sealed box (i think they sound best that way. i had them in a 3.5cu ft ported box). $210 for the sub. I'd jump on ecoustic and give Kevin Holden a ring and see if he has them in stock. If not, DO NOT ORDER DIRECT!

Here's his info:
http://forum.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/board-profile.pl?action=view_profile&profile=04redmach1-users

here they are in action. Sorry about the songs:

a properly designed ported enclosure can sound amazing on rock and anything.

Saying sealed is for rock and ported is for rap is a bunch of bull crap people started because of crappy prefab ported enclosures. It is just because people just aren't correctly informed about the facts.

a properly designed ported enclosure can sound amazing on rock and anything.

Saying sealed is for rock and ported is for rap is a bunch of bull crap people started because of crappy prefab ported enclosures. It is just because people just aren't correctly informed about the facts.

agreed! The main reason I went with the sealed box was because the ported one was just too big for me. I didn't have room to put anything in the back. With the sealed, it was a bit more accommodating.

so how big of a box, would I need to make, that Fosgate sound really good? I would prefer a sealed, to take up less room.

Found a sub I like, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3D212, and it says for a sealed enclosure it needs .75 - 1.25 cubic feet, how big should I build the box, don't want anything too big, and want to be able to pull the cargo cover over it, how many cubic feet should I build a box for it?

I had the P2's and thought they sounded like crap! Have you thought about maybe the Alpine Type R or Image Dynamics? If you want Rockford, I'd go T series.

I had the P2's and thought they sounded like crap! Have you thought about maybe the Alpine Type R or Image Dynamics? If you want Rockford, I'd go T series.

really I've heard good things about the P3's, what amp were you pushing them with?

really I've heard good things about the P3's, what amp were you pushing them with?

My phoenix gold xenon amp. Do go based on my opinion. I didn't like them, you might. I have to say though, I am happy with my RD's.

check out the FI SSD 10" or 12" perfect for rock and will work with the power you have. a small ported box tuned low will sound great on rock/metal.

www.ficaraudio.com

10" 179.00
SSD10_170x356.jpg

12" 199.00
SSD12_170x356.jpg

wow, i thought the Fi was more expensive than that otherwise I would've suggested those.

Well I guess bank for you all is a little more, really not looking to spend mor ethan about $150

the name of the game man, you gotta pay to play. Try looking on craigslist or ebay or just save up a little longer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The P3 is decent...if it is the newer model...I hope RF changed up the crappy brittle plastic dust caps from the previews Punch subs.

If you want sealed...I would go with a 1 cu ft box...1.5 cu ft if you want flatter response with a stronger low end.

Back