T-Stat Information/warning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

T-Stat Information/warning

Beertime9

Reaction score
Last July my T-Stat went out so I went down to the local NAPA and got a new one, not knowing which temp range to buy. I installed it and it fixed my overheating problem but I noticed the guage never really read normal. I have had problems with the wire to the guage but never trusted it. Well my MPG has been about 14, so I knew the computer was not seeing the correct temp. The other day I was checking the ohm reading on the temp sendor to the computer and it was only reading 180, so I figured the T-stat was bad again and went down to NAPA and bought a new one. I asked the guy if they sell any other temp besides 195 thinking I got a 180 last time, he said "no way, it has to be 195 or the computer won't work right" (No kidding!!!!) so I guess I got a 195 last July. I pulled the old one out and guess what? It had 180 stamped on the bottom, so 6 months of crap mileage was do to an incorrect T-Stat, lesson learned the hard way, make sure you check the temp that is stamped on the bottom. Also I checked it on the stove with a meat thermometer and it opened at about 195 - 200 degrees.
FYI
Don

yeah, read the post here on 2.2mpg increase from new Tstat..

I read that one and it got me thinking about actually what is the computer seeing as far as a temp reading, that is when I realized the problem. I hope I can get about 10 MPG more!!!!!, I know I was just dreaming, but it would be nice.
Don

Back