Tailpipe hangers

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
I've been hearing a wierd vibration from the back right of the explorer the past few days, and noticed it's usually only present when I have a passenger in the car. So today me and my gf went to go to the store and I heard it really loud so I got out and looked and it seems my tailpipe is loose and the front of the tailpipe has basically "fallen" to the drivers side, shifting the end of the tailpipe to passenger side and up and rubbing on my bumper cover thus making the vibration noise I heard.

my question is are there any other hangers for the tailpipe besides the one by the end (near spare/shackle)? Because either there aren't any, my tailpipe at the muffler is loose, or I'm missing a hanger or 2.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a pair right behind the muffler, other than that, nothing else.

There are a pair right behind the muffler, other than that, nothing else.

Hmm ok. The pipe seems to be fine untill after the resonator where the pipe kinda goes up for a section then comes back down. I think I'm just gonna wire-hanger it for now.

i was under my '01 EB V8 today, just saw 2 rubber hangers behind the muffler. my tail pipe exits just under the bumber cover at its corner.

Get the hangers from dealership, they are not very expensive.
AAP has also a generic part that's cheaper. I have it for two years in my Sable and is still OK, but who knows how long will last...
This is a picture of the system under the front. There are two rubber hangers 5A246, 5A262:

RenderIllustration.ashx

picture isnt showing up. I used the AAP hanger on my gf's expedition before she wrapped it around a pole.

Back