• Register Today It's free!

Tailpipe?

Spartan

Reaction score
City, State
Sun Prairie WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT, 5.0 2WD
I have a 1992 Explorer XLT, and was wondering a couple of things about the tailpipe. I want a tailpipe WITHOUT a resonator. The dynomax Tailpipe that everyone recommends is currently OUT OF PRODUCTION.... dammit. Nobody can get it.

A 1994 Explorer XLT has a tailpipe without a resonator.....

Will a 1994 tailpipe work on an otherwise stock 1992 exhaust system? Please, don't tell me to go flowmaster or whatever, this is for my winter beater, and it already has a new muffler and intermediary pipe on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tailpipe as in the section of exhaust from the muffler to the end? Cauz if so, a local muffler shop should be able to easily bend you up a new section.

The problem is that the local shops want north of 120 bucks for that. There is no way in hell I'm paying that much for a simple aluminized tailpipe. Not only that, but the flowmaster kit is about 30 bucks more expensive than that. I hate the resonator setup, because it rusts like crazy. I just wanted a cheap solution.

That tailpipe from the 94 Explorer "should" fit yours as long as they are both 4-doors or both 2-doors. But double check though cauz I'm not 100% sure.

No good. The '92 has a 2.25" diameter neck on the Muffler, the '94 muffler has a 2" Neck.. And the mounting brackets on the Tail pipe are located in a different spot.

NAPA Tenneco tailpipe #44206. NAPA should have it. If you have AAA they give pretty good discounts.

NAPA # 45274 for the Dynomax pipe. They still list it.

Yes, many places list the Dynomax tailpipe. When they look it up, every single one of them say it has to be ordered fom the manufacturer.... and then they call. The part number according to Dynomax is obsolete, there is absolutely no inventory, and they do not produce it anymore. I'll check on the tenneco one..... I don;t want a resonator, but oh well.... If I have to I have to.

Out of production since when? You can walk into Advance Auto Parts or NAPA and order one right away. They won't have it in stock, but they can order it from their warehouse and usually have it in a day or two, or a few days at most.

You can also order it online for $40-50:

http://www.race-mart.com/Dynomax-DYO-45274.html

http://www.performanceparts4less.com/gdcicat.html?partid=143432

The 91-92 and 93-94 Dynomax tailpipes are both 2.25", but the 91-92 pipe is bent slightly different to exit out the side, where the 93-94 pipe exits at a 45 degree angle to the body. The 91-92 pipe is also a bit longer to allow it to go into the 17747 muffler, and has the hangers welded onto the pipe. The 93-94 has the muffler hanger welded to the muffler, so the pipe has no front hanger. It'll work in a pinch but it's more trouble than it's worth, plus the 91-92 pipe is usually slightly less expensive.

You can also just buy the stock Walker pipe, which is also 2.25" diameter, but the big difference is the crush bends. The Dynomax pipe has mandrel bends for better flow, and strangely enough, it usually costs less than the Walker.

Since when? I have no idea. I called the following parts stores:

Autozone
Advance Auto
Oreileys
Napa
Carquest
Bumper to Bumper

Every single one of them had it LISTED, but when they attempted to order it, either on the phone or on their systems, the part number came up as OBSOLETE and OUT OF PRODUCTION. I confirmed this today by calling Walker (dynomax) directly and asking them. So I would say that its a pretty good indication that it is no longer out there. The only hope for finding one would be to find a store that still ahs one in stock, and according to ever single one o those stores, none of their other stores or their supply warehouses has any of them in stock.

Both of the links you posted, as well as the parts store web sites all say the same thing : "Special Order Only" or "while Supplies Last". That means that it does not come from a warehouse, it comes from Dynomax. Dynomax tells me that the part number is obsolete, and is no longer in production....AND that there has been no part number to supersede it.

Well you could always just go for the regular Walker pipe, which is the same shape, just with the crush bends. Napa/Advance and any others that still deal with Walker should be able to get that at least. Rockauto and a few other places have the 93-94 pipe if you want to go that route. Flowmaster also makes a mandrel-bent pipe that fits the 91-94.

It's also worth noting that the rear Walker/Dynomax pipe for just about all 91-98 Explorers have the same basic shape except for the rear exit, so a 95-98 pipe will probably fit as well (if they haven't discontinued those too), it will just exit in the rear instead of the side. You'll still have to come up with the "u" style muffler hanger on the pipe, possibly swapping it from the existing one or fabricating something from 3/8" round steel bar.

There are still other manufactuers though, you should be able to get a regular 91-92 pipe from any parts store, and it should be a 2.25", just probably with crush bends. Some brands have smooth crush bends though, whereas Walker's pipes use ribbed crush bends.

If it's true that Walker has discontinued the Dynomax rear pipe for the 91-92 Explorer, maybe we should start a petition to have them bring them back. They still make the 93-94 parts, and those even use a custom muffler. The 91-92 just uses an off-the shelf 17747 muffler and mandrel rear pipe. The front pipe is just a regular Walker replacement.

Hopefully they are just re-designing the system to be universal for all 91-94s rather than seperate for the 91-92/93-94.

Back