Talk Me Into a New 16 Sport!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Talk Me Into a New 16 Sport!!!

I bought my 2014 Limited for less than X-Plan through the CarProUSA process. Here are some dealers in your part of the state that will beat the Friends & Family or X-Plan pricing with no hassle, but only if you contact them via the following links:

http://www.carprousa.com/dealer/the-ford-store-morgan-hill/oakland

http://www.carprousa.com/dealer/elk-grove-ford/sacramento

http://www.carprousa.com/dealer/price-ford/fresno

http://www.carprousa.com/dealer/price-ford/modesto

http://www.carprousa.com/dealer/the-ford-store-morgan-hill/san-jose

Good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Jerry, I will have her try that. She is 5'4" I think. I love the memory seats, pedals, mirrors, and steering wheel. Wait, it is all on memory, right? Anyway, she could lift it up and then bring the pedals and wheel closer. Hell, I might even do that to give me more room. I swear I spent 15 minutes screwing with everything and I was still messing with it while driving. I am sure I can make it really comfortable when I have the time to really dial in all the adjustments and then save it to memory.

As for the Edge, a buddy of mine just got one and he loves it. Ford has a more aggressive tune in that 2.7EB also so the power is not far off from the 3.5EB. The Edge is lighter so it is quicker than the Ex, but we can tune the Ex and I am not sure when tuners will be available for the 2.7EB. Also, I think it won't improve as much since Ford is already getting so much out of that little motor. Anyway, the wife hates the way they look and she loves how the Explorer looks and wants a 3rd row and the extra room. I agree with her. My buddy got the Edge so he could put a child seat in the center of the 2nd row. The Explorer 2nd row has a TINY center seat and I swear there is only 8" between the seat belt receivers. Enough room for only one of my butt cheeks! I just need to look passed that since it will rarely be used, and I won't be the one using it. LOL!

I test drove a FWD Edge Sport with 500 miles on it. By the seat of the pants my EX Sport with ~9500 miles was noticeably faster. The Ex gives you a strong pushed into the seat feeling and the Edge Sport did not. The wife and I were both disappointed by the lack of power. It felt much like a turbo 4 cylinder compared to EX feeling like a big V8. Could be it was a dud, it was the only one I drove.

Did you drove the new one with the 2.7L Ecoboost? That is the motor they are putting in the F150's now as well. I would hope they would only mate that to AWD, but I see that they do offer it with FWD. It has 315hp and 350tq, way too much for the front wheels. The test I saw showed 14.2 @ 98mph. I think it is 500lbs lighter than the Explorer so I can believe those numbers if the Explorer runs 14.5. The only thing that I can think of is that the traction control was turned on and it pulled a ton of power out since it would smoke the front tires in the first two gears with that much power.

Did you drove the new one with the 2.7L Ecoboost? That is the motor they are putting in the F150's now as well. I would hope they would only mate that to AWD, but I see that they do offer it with FWD. It has 315hp and 350tq, way too much for the front wheels. The test I saw showed 14.2 @ 98mph. I think it is 500lbs lighter than the Explorer so I can believe those numbers if the Explorer runs 14.5. The only thing that I can think of is that the traction control was turned on and it pulled a ton of power out since it would smoke the front tires in the first two gears with that much power.

Yeah, I checked the sticker. It would briefly spin the tires from a stop. It was the freeway on ramp acceleration that was unimpressive. I was expecting it to be so much better. Like I said it could have been a bad example and it just wasn't running correctly. A long time ago I test drove T-bird turbo coupe and felt the same way, I got out and one of the rear rotors was glowing red hot, didn't see that on the Edge. But maybe the torque management or TC was kicking in and slowing it down.

I've got a salesman that will me let drive anything they have, maybe I'll see if I can drive a different one next time I go up there.

I think this may be a good time to remind folks that if you are test driving a vehicles power, the TC has to be off. Some of you don't need this reminder but, some are also unfamiliar as well. :salute:

I think this may be a good time to remind folks that if you are test driving a vehicles power, the TC has to be off. Some of you don't need this reminder but, some are also unfamiliar as well. :salute:

I left TC on for both Edge and the Ex. I don't drive around with TC off. A couple of reasons are that I'd be worried that if i was in accident and the pulled the computer they'd use that against me and when I need the power the TC is there to correct for road conditions I might miss.

I left TC on for both Edge and the Ex. I don't drive around with TC off. A couple of reasons are that I'd be worried that if i was in accident and the pulled the computer they'd use that against me and when I need the power the TC is there to correct for road conditions I might miss.

It's a good thing to be cautious and conscience about this under normal driving situations. However, my statement was more in line with test driving a vehicle you may be considering as a purchase.

For myself, I'm not going to worry about what feature I have on or off should I have an accident. If it's not your fault, it shouldn't really matter. They are not 'gotcha tools' insurance companies or the law can use against you. :salute:

The TC will pull a hell of a lot of power out on a FWD setup. My grandma's 2010 6cyl FWD Escape spins the fronts like crazy and it doesn't have anywhere near the power of the 2.7 EB. If you drive another one, make sure it is AWD. How bad was the torque steer? Maybe it was okay since it pulled out so much power.

The TC will pull a hell of a lot of power out on a FWD setup. My grandma's 2010 6cyl FWD Escape spins the fronts like crazy and it doesn't have anywhere near the power of the 2.7 EB. If you drive another one, make sure it is AWD. How bad was the torque steer? Maybe it was okay since it pulled out so much power.

Almost no TQ steer with the Edge. The Ex moves around a little but it felt like it had a ton more power.

...... They are not 'gotcha tools' insurance companies or the law can use against you. :salute:
I recall the stats from the 'black box' were made public here in a case where an accident involving a death caused by a DIU driver occurred. Can't say if they were used in court. DUI driver was just sentenced to 5 years.

Peter

I just purchased a new 16 Sport 401A package, moon roof etc etc. I came from a Dodge Challenger SRT8 which we absolutely loved!

The Sport has been very easy to transition into, it has the looks, power and potential to be tuned to be even faster. With all the goodies in the 401A package it was easy to choose. I don't like the Platinum look so the sport fit us perfectly.

After owning it for a mere 3-4 days, I am in love with this thing and so is my wife! I was worried as I have never owned an SUV or bought a brand new vehicle, basically just cars and trucks. But I am impressed with the Explorer, more than I had thought i'd be and the more I learn about it the more I am happy we made the purchase.

So far I LOVE IT! Hoping to add a Livernois tuner very soon to get that extra power out of it that I want.

AWD is as much traction control as I want. I wish the setting would stay in the previous state when the car is shut off and turned back on. Does the trailer sway control and traction control turn back on every time you start the car? I wonder if the tuners can change that to be persistent on power cycles. I want it all on when the wife is driving, but not when I am driving. I guess it won't be as big of a deal when we get this thing and I get quicker at navigating through the menus to turn it off. On one test drive of a 15 Sport, I punched it and switched lanes and you could totally feel how it did not give it full throttle until I straightened it back out. That bugged me. I am sure a tuner will help the TC to not be too intrusive, unless they only modify torque management when the TC is off. Actually, that is probably what they do.

I recall the stats from the 'black box' were made public here in a case where an accident involving a death caused by a DIU driver occurred. Can't say if they were used in court. DUI driver was just sentenced to 5 years.

Peter

Not to confuse the issue but, my reference was about using or not using the features. The information from the 'black box' may well be used in accident cases but, that has more to do with driving conditions such as speed, braking and time and not necessarily what features may or may not have been operating. :salute:

We have decided on the Explorer Sport and our trans is REALLY acting up in our 2002, so I am ready to buy. Why can't Ford have the great incentives that I keep seeing all of the other car manufacturers doing right now?! I keep seeing 0% for 72 or 75 mo. I sure wish they would do that with the Explorer. I can get X-plan, so the Friends and Family deal does nothing for me. I should have bought the one we drove in June because there were a $1000 off in incentives. I thought for sure the price would go down, not up!! Anyway, we can't wait any longer and the one we want comes in on Black Friday, or the following week. I am going to try to get him to come down below X-plan, but he wouldn't budge on the last two that we drove. It is a Magnetic 401A with LED Fogs, and no moonroof. Very hard to find a Sport with the 401A and no moonroof, so I think we better just get it. Another dealership would go down to what I would have paid in June, but I hate those guys at that dealership with their high pressure tactics and they would have to locate the vehicle and do a dealer trade. I guess I am just stuck paying more than the first one we looked at. At least I am getting the LED fogs which the first two didn't have. I would have got the 2nd one but I had a $750 incentive that went away 2 days before it got to the lot and that just pissed me off that FORD wouldn't honor it. I would have bought it sooner if any dealership in my area had the options I wanted. There was a $500 incentive at the same time, so I could have gotten it for $1250 under X-plan if it showed up on time. Why can't they have those incentives when the vehicle I want shows up?! This is the 4th one that has been ordered with the color and options I asked for. I really want to get this one and we need to, I am just disappointed that my price has gone UP!

I am still really excited about getting this thing though. I just have to figure out how long I am going to wait before the tuner goes on.

Back