Tallest Tire that will fit a 20" tire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tallest Tire that will fit a 20" tire

Petro Andriyashchuk

Reaction score
City, State
Webster
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
hello, my dad recently purchased a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT and was wondering whats the tallest tire you can fit into a 2017 explorer without rubbing, he doesnt want it really as wide, he wants it as tall as possible without rubbing because roads where we are , are crap and ride is very rough so we were thinking of whats the possible way to soften it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello, my dad recently purchased a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT and was wondering whats the tallest tire you can fit into a 2017 explorer without rubbing, he doesnt want it really as wide, he wants it as tall as possible without rubbing because roads where we are , are crap and ride is very rough so we were thinking of whats the possible way to soften it.

Drop down to an 18 inch rim match the outside diameter of the 20 inch tire. That way your speed odometer and odometer will not be off. This will give you more side wall which is what I think you are asking for.

Welcome to the Forum Petro.:wave:
Are your tires 20" or 18"? The factory OEM tire on a 2017 XLT is 245/60R18. If you have 255/50R20 tires then a 235/65R18 will be an exact match to the 20" and give you a little more sidewall as Mlarv5 mentioned. It would mean buying four 18" wheels to mount them on. I use 18" wheels in place on my 20" for Winter.

Peter

Something to add, it is actually well documented within Ford the you can have EPAS failures due to oversized tires working the EPAS system harder and overheat it. I wouldn't go any bigger then OEM as Ford will not cover it if it fails with larger tires.

Something to add, it is actually well documented within Ford the you can have EPAS failures due to oversized tires working the EPAS system harder and overheat it. I wouldn't go any bigger then OEM as Ford will not cover it if it fails with larger tires.

Interesting, would you happen to have a source?

Back