Tapping Auxiliary Lights Into Factory Fogs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tapping Auxiliary Lights Into Factory Fogs?

I live on the coast so fog is a constant issue. On my '05 Sport Trac I had PIAA 5 inch fogs on their own harness and their own switch stuck on to the dash. For my 13 XLT I want to add some lower profile rectangular fogs in front but would like to wire them up to come on when I activate the built in fog lights.

Can this be done using the harness that comes with PIAAs (usually a power line, a relay, and a switch) or has anyone done this? I'd like to avoid additional buttons stuck on my dash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shouldn't be hard just tie into the power wire going to the factory fogs attach it to pin 86 on relay. 85 to ground 30 to fused battery power 87 to piaa lights

Is there any advantage one way or the other re. Aux. fogs on their own switch or tying them in with the factory fogs?

They go in on Tuesday so I thought I'd try a last minute question before I jump into it.

Only one I can think of i's you could run fogs only if they were on switch. Kind of personal preference thing.

I ended up having the fogs stay on their own circuit and use their own switch. I used the Unity 6" rectangular SAE clear fog lights, it's the same company that makes our police car spotlights, etc. My only issue with them is that the switch is not illuminated like the PIAA switch on my old Sport Trac. The Unity light shows red color (paint) when on but at night you can't see it. I may see if I get used to it.

The fit nicely on my Westin Contour Bull Bar. I'm very happy with both the bar and the lights. Unity has been providing lights for cop cars for a long time so I am pretty confident of the build quality.

Anyone known if it's easy to swap my non-illuminated switch to an illuminated one? The Unity switch is a nice, flush mount rocker but I'm used to an illuminated one.

ExpNuLights2.jpg

ExpNuLights1.jpg

You should be able to swap it for any single pole, single throw illuminated switch. You will need to add an additional ground for the LED in the switch, however; Running from the illumination ground on the switch to a body ground.

Edit: It looks like this might be an exact fit replacement, mounting-wise, for the switch Unity use:
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-12525-Illuminated-Switch/dp/B002UC8N64/

That said, you can use any spst illuminated switch you like.

You should be able to swap it for any single pole, single throw illuminated switch. You will need to add an additional ground for the LED in the switch, however; Running from the illumination ground on the switch to a body ground.

Edit: It looks like this might be an exact fit replacement, mounting-wise, for the switch Unity use:
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-12525-Illuminated-Switch/dp/B002UC8N64/

That said, you can use any spst illuminated switch you like.

THANK YOU. I'll check it out. Whatever switch I go with, I'll post a pic. This is a great lead.

I've used the wee round switches for all my Aux lighting:
gYy1WITh.jpg

Mine mostly light up in red:
gFdDdwbl.jpg

I'm not sure a round switch would look as good in a later Ex, though. I'm in a 2nd gen. In a more modern X, I'd probably go with one or more of these, if it were me:
Zs82ra4h.jpg

I've used the wee round switches for all my Aux lighting:
gYy1WITh.jpg

Mine mostly light up in red:
gFdDdwbl.jpg

I'm not sure a round switch would look as good in a later Ex, though. I'm in a 2nd gen. In a more modern X, I'd probably go with one or more of these, if it were me:
Zs82ra4h.jpg
what site are those on?
edit the last photo

I used one of the many switch options on ebay... I went with the horizontal dual illuminated zombie switch that lights up red when I turn my lights on and when I toggle the switch it lights up a bio-hazard sign in green and the red side goes out

Back