• Register Today It's free!

Temp Gage stays in the middle

droppindave

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport OHV 4x4
I was hoping that someone could help me. I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 with 142000K. This past weekend a buddy and myself replaced the intake manifold gaskets with a complete kit from Fel-pro. We also changed my spark plugs, spark plug wires, replaced my hood struts, installed a new serpentine belt, and drained my coolant and replaced it with new coolant.

Here is my problem, after driving my truck the temperature gage stays in the middle even after my truck has cooled over night, but as soon as I start my truck the gage seems to be working properly, going down to cold and working it way back up to the middle. Before we did all this work to my truck my gage would be in the cold range when I would start it up in the morning. I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out with this problem, my gage seems to be working properly but I am worried about it staying in the middle even after sitting over night.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

faulty sensor? does your gauge return to off position when you remove your keys from ignition?

When I remove my key, it stay half way. I'll leave it over night and the next morning it will still be half way between hot and cold. But then when I start it up in the morning after it's been sitting for 12 hours or so it will reset itself back to cold and work it way up on my drive to work (about 25 minutes), then when I'm done work, it's the same situation, the gage is still in the middle (between hot and cold), then I start my truck and it resets itself back to cold and works it ways back up to the middle and then stays there when I get home until the next morning. Any idea as to what the problem might be? kyledelaghetto do you mean the temperature sensor?

hmmm nothing is actually wrong... your temp gauge just isnt shutting shutting off when key is out is all... could try unhooking the battery for about 15 mins which will reset computer and gauges... after you unhook the battery look and see if the gauges drops to off position... if it doesnt then your gauge is just being dumb... thats probably what id do for first test.... some people might not agree but thats my opinion

I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Back