• Register Today It's free!

Temp Gauge Pinned!

Mongo420

Reaction score
City, State
Brookings, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4x4
Hey had a Question on my temp Gauge. It's pinned all the way on overheating all the time. There is plenty of coolant and the engine seems to be staying cool. Any Ideas? Its a 91 Ex BTW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. Hit the dash (maybe it's stuck??)
2. Sending unit for gauge could be bad.
3. Gauge itself might be bad.

Disconect the wire (connector) from the temp sender and see what happens. If no change in guage then your guage is stuck/bad. You didn't mention, does it stay there even when truck is off?

Ya the gauge stays on even when its off!?!?!?! maybe you could help me with another one. It pulls really hard to the right (i know thats the alignment) but my issue is the its pulling hard to the right but the steering wheel is hard left when the wheels are "straitish" and you wouldn't happen to know where to get a seal for the rear hatch window would you?!?!?!

both the steering wheel and the pulling are related to the alignment. A proper alignment will fix both of these issues.

JCWhitney sells seal replacements you just need to order the correct style and the amount you need.

thanks for the advice one other question i have a top end knock it really sounds like a lifter. ideas?

there are a few possibilities. Does it get worse or better under load?

1) (this one is most likely) it is a lifter in which case you should try some engine flush before your next oil change and add a can of some type of lifter queit
2) There is a TSB for carbon buildup on the OHV motor which will causes a knocking mostly under load. The remedy is to seafoam the engine initially and then try to always rev the motor to 3000 rpms at least once during a drive cycle (Fords Recommendation LOL)
3) injectors can make a tapping noise depending on the sound.
4) exhaust manafolds can sounds like lifter taps when they have a leak around the gasket or at the pipe to header connection

how many miles are on the motor?

What did you hit to bend up something so much that the wheel faces left while driving straight?

looks like 183 thousand on it.And now that ive run it for a bit the knocking has subsided a lot. but when the engine is not under load and i bring up the RPM's is when i get a pretty loud knocking and it only knocks when i bring up the Rpm's and i can't hear it under a load (sounds like lower end :( ) and by the way it's my temp sending unit i imagine that has my gauge pinned because i took the wire off and it dropped down so obviously the gauge is not stuck. It has quite a few problems but the price was right and its not too bad of a rig. ( I don't know what the guy before me hit to knock out the alignment so bad). I have a lot of questions im going to be asking so your help is unbelievably helpful.

looks like 183 thousand on it.And now that ive run it for a bit the knocking has subsided a lot. but when the engine is not under load and i bring up the RPM's is when i get a pretty loud knocking and it only knocks when i bring up the Rpm's and i can't hear it under a load (sounds like lower end :( ) and by the way it's my temp sending unit i imagine that has my gauge pinned because i took the wire off and it dropped down so obviously the gauge is not stuck. It has quite a few problems but the price was right and its not too bad of a rig. ( I don't know what the guy before me hit to knock out the alignment so bad). I have a lot of questions im going to be asking so your help is unbelievably helpful.

OK At least the gauge is good. I'm sure if you put a meter on the Sender it will read a direct short to Ground. A new sender sounds like the cure.

183K on the motor, that's what I had on mine when I bought it.
What you describe does sound like the lower end (wrist pins) but that's odd for that mileage. listen up by the timing chain cover, maybe the tensioner is not happy.

cool thanks for the tip ill check that out when im off at work. if thats what it is what would be the cure for it? just another random question if i put a 2 inch lift on it will it fit 31's? and would i need to look into those drop brackets for camber?

cool thanks for the tip ill check that out when im off at work. if thats what it is what would be the cure for it? just another random question if i put a 2 inch lift on it will it fit 31's? and would i need to look into those drop brackets for camber?

Pull the Chain and replace the tensioner.

31's. I do not have a lift on my Stock 'X' but rumor is that 31's will fit with the lift.
This toy Truck is my wife's daily Driver, so it's just stock.
I have Other vehicles that are Lifted and 'done up' (See my Profile)

hey man thanks for the advice you have been a real help

what about those drop brackets though?

31x10.5x15 fit my stock 94 without any lift or rubbing

oh no way! thats even better to hear

Back