Test drove a 07 v8 Limited...not sure... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Test drove a 07 v8 Limited...not sure...

ttbit

Reaction score
City, State
Maryville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 ST 5.0 sold
'07 ST8
Hey All,

I have had my 2001 gen 1 for 6 years or so and like it. Was considering selling it to get something newer. I figured I would be forced buying an F150, but then I remembered the v8 2nd gens. I drove one today for the first time. 9x,000 miles on it. Good condition and engine was very smooth. It didn't seem peppy, but enough. Of course, the 3v 4.6 sneaks up on you, as I learned with my 2006 and 2007 Mustangs. They are smooth and you can't tell how quick it is. The fuel gauge said 5 miles till empty so I didn't really get a good drive in, but...

It seemed a little vague in the steering department. It felt heavier driving than my gen 1 st. Also, 1-2 shift was harsh. Normal for this trans?

Anyone have experience with 1st and 2nd gen to tell me their thoughts? I was hoping it would blow me away so I could start looking for STs instead of a newer F150.

Now...I haven't driven a new F150 yet. Wonder how I am going to feel about those!

Hey...that not peppy feeling may be lack of torque under 2000. It didn't feel slow and my ST does have a 302, which has a lot of torque down low, but no HP up top.

Thanks,
Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've owned both and the ride and handling of the Gen 2 is so much better it's not even funny.

I tend to agree with JohnnyO. I had an 01 and an 05, both had a 4:10 gear(wanted a locking rear end and that was the only ratio available). My 08 3v is a much superior vehicle to either the 01 or 05, that includes handling, ride, and performance and gas mileage. I have been an Explorer owner since they came out in 91, I even put a Paxton S/C on that one. Then the good old Windsor 302 appeared as an option. Still have the 97 Explorer(3:73 gear...wanted that locking rear end). It is probably the best vehicle I ever owned. But it still doesn't compare to the 08.

I appreciate the input. It just seemed that when I turned the wheel, the truck wallowed but didn't go in the direction I asked it to. It reminded me of my '95 Mustang when I had an alignment done and the guy didn't know Mustangs. He set the camber at less than 1 instead of greater than +1.25. Made a huge difference.

I need to test drive another one, obviously. My truck has 326,000 miles, so I would think mine would be looser. I did replace all the shocks a couple of years ago though. Previous owner probably had to rebuild the front end once or twice in its life too.

On another note, the truck was in for service over the weekend when I wanted to test drive it... The salesman said they replaced 3 coil packs and 3 plugs. He said, "That was all that was needed.", I said, "No. You guys are cheap or are afraid of breaking the plugs out.". Who replaces less than all 8 plugs? Coil packs...yes... It is one of the managers who owns the truck too. You would think they would really take care of him.

I'm going to make a suggestion, if you can locate a mid-year 08 thru 10, you won't have the spark plug issue on the 3v engines.

Weird that they'd only change 3 plugs & packs. If you liked the truck well enough to own it, have the other 5 changed as part of the deal. Should bring some comfort in knowing its done.

Tough to compare a 7 year old ST with 90K to a new F150. Garage space was one of my factors, and the F150 is just too wide.

I'm with you on the steering. I test drove 4-5 different 07+ ST's and steering felt a little numb or disconnected on all of them. You'd be surprised how quickly that feeling wears off. And my 4.6L doesn't feel that gutsy, its a smooth ride to well above the speed limit quickly and surprisingly, but doesn't throw your head back like a Mustang.

Tough to compare a 7 year old ST with 90K to a new F150.

I was actually comparing it to my 13 year old 326,000 mile gen 1 sport trac. :) I am expecting an F150 to feel worse as it is so much bigger. I would say you are right though. I would get used to the steering. I didn't like the 2006 Mustang steering when I first started driving it, but got used to it. I am not going to make an offer on this one. It is not the color combo I am looking for and I would really have to work them down on it.

eepd00: Good point. People are asking some huge money for 2008 and up. I'd likely just have to break out the carb cleaner and pray for the best. :)

Tough to compare a 7 year old ST with 90K to a new F150. Garage space was one of my factors, and the F150 is just too wide.

An F-150 would not only not fit in my garage, it wouldn't even fit in my driveway.

I can say on the F150, it will feel so much better. I can't stand the way my gen 1 ST rolls around (still have stock shocks so that's why), I've ridden in a gen 2 ST and it was a little better, but nothing on F150s in my opinion. I've driven an 08 with the 5.4, a 2012 with the 5.0, and a 2013 with the ecoboost, and the 5.0 was my favorite. Much smoother ride, felt way more stable, just all around so much better. Now if you just don't want the size or don't have room or something like that then that's understandable but at least compared to my 05 ST I can't wait to move up.

I can say on the F150, it will feel so much better. I can't stand the way my gen 1 ST rolls around

I changed the shocks and sway bar end links... Night and day. I wish I would have checked to see if they had Bilsteins for the ST though. Always had great results with them on every car I had them on.

I should be OK with the F150 size. It is just more than I need, but people are saying it has a great ride. Expensive there too. I can get a Hemi RAM 4 door for less than 30k with the incentives though. I would be stupid not to at least test drive one.

You all should look on auto trader and see what the 2010 ST's are going for!!!!!!

Back