• Register Today It's free!

testing plug wires

fissionbait

Reaction score
City, State
N America
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ohv
So my trucks been missing quite a bit lately, especially when the engine is hot will miss at idle too. So wanted to check the wires but have no clue if I used the right settings on the ohm meter. I set the switch to 20K in the ohm range and plugged the two meter terminals up to "VΩ" and "com"(max 1000v). I tested the each sides of the 6 wires and got some mixed results:

wire 1 - 4.68
wire 2 - 4.52
wire 3 - 3.88
wire 4 - 9.52
wire 5 - 6.02
wire 6 - 6.71

Wire 3 was all over the place and skipped back and forth from 2V up to 16V and rested lower when the wire was still. Wire 4 was consistent but higher compared to 5 and 6(longer wires). So what do you think?

As a general rule anything under 7k per foot is ok and over 7k per foot is bad. But you might have a crack in a wire were it is arching that wont show in a resistance check. Look under the hood at night with the engine running and poke around while reving up the engine to see if you can see any arching.

If you are getting wildly varying readings (#3) and it isn't due to bad contact with the probes on your meter, then I would say you have a damaged wire. If you have some leads with clips, you should retest to make sure you are getting a consistent reading.

A reading that changes as you flex the wire = bad wire.

Thanks for the replies, so I put in some new champion single platinum plugs and it took away about 70% of the misfire plus lower idle rpms and better deceleration(I think it still had the factory plugs:wtf:). I drove about 15k's with the new plugs and it only stumbled a few times when accelerating from stand still when I turned around to come home.

Back