HID compared to Halogen Headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID compared to Halogen Headlights

Querys

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer Limited
Hallo,

some of you know already, I bought a Explorer Limited in Germany. Someone removed the HID Headlights.

On the weekend I replaced the Halogen Bulb with a new one and I saw, that someone modified the Bulb socket and wires inside the Headlight. Furthermore I saw some kind of control unit inside the headlight.

My thought was, that someone just replaced the wiring and bulb and now the whole light.

Is it true, that both bulbs (Xenon DS3 and Halogen HB3) fit into the socket inside the light (I do not talk about the electrical connector, this is clearly different).

okay I just compared some Headlight Pictures on ebay and the HID Module seems to be outside the headlight.
So I assume it is not possible to change to HID in Germany.

okay I just compared some Headlight Pictures on ebay and the HID Module seems to be outside the headlight.
So I assume it is not possible to change to HID in Germany.

Control unit is bolted to the underside of the headlight housing but there is a big like 3" hole in the housing for wiring to pass through. you could still be seeing the control unit through this hole.

You seeing this through the headlight?

osram_xenaelectron_d3s_hid_headlight_ballasts_5_1.jpg

nope unfortunately I do not have these control units.

I was surprised by the soldered wires in the headlight housing and some "open" wires, and the "too big bulb connector" so I tought someone might have removed only the HID out of the housing.
But there is no big hole at the bottom of the headlight and of course no module, so it is a halogen light.

Back