The best Shocks for smooth driving | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The best Shocks for smooth driving

It is amaizing how Amazon's book business is a small part of the overall company now. Like a lot of things on-line, I don't expect a lot of service from them with regard to auto parts. I am not even sure I can return the stuff if I order the wrong part (although they have a return process in the box). Have to work with the manufacturer directly if there is a defect. I have not had a problem so far. They even seem to list the same parts from multiple suppliers. I can't imagine why anyone would spend more for the same part than the one with the absolute lowest price+shipping cost, but people must do that. It has to make it difficult to compete as a parts supplier because Amazon, Ebay, etc, simply makes all part of the same brand and SKU look generic. Once someone finds the specific part they want with 20 different supplier options, the suppliers are only competing on price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello everybody
i think i need all four shocks because driver side is really bad passenger is ok i have drive my explorer like dirt bike jump on the street that dip or hump

Waiting on my Gr-2s, should be a drastic improvment with 300 000 km's on the stock shocks.
i will let you know how they work.
got all 4 of them on ebay for $99

well installed them, way better ride, really stiffened it up not so much bouncing and more responsive

Seeing that Monroe makes Rancho, they are essentially the same part or very close equivalent. The RSX5000's are pretty equal to the Reflex.

Reflex's are an 'upgrade' to the older SensaTrac technology.

Shockguys, I just ordered the Monroe Reflex for my 98 from Shockwarehouse.com. Also included the 5th shock and Lift Supports for the Hood and Backglass, Thanks for the information and the 5% off:thumbsup:!

KYB's On E-Bay

All who are looking for good shocks at a good price, I just purchased and installed the KYB GR-2 shocks on the Mounty. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Body roll lessened around corners, nice tight ride over rough roads, all in all I am fairly pleased. We'll see after 10 or 20 thousand miles... The guy on E-bay still has some left... $89 and free shipping.

E-bay Item number: 260408464141

Shockguys, I just ordered the Monroe Reflex for my 98 from Shockwarehouse.com. Also included the 5th shock and Lift Supports for the Hood and Backglass, Thanks for the information and the 5% off:thumbsup:!

GREAT! Hope they work out for you.

Rear shocks installed yesterday, Front shocks today, all is good! What a pain though, the shocks on my '98 were original and what a pain getting those bolts off. I also replaced the rear shackles, they were easy to replace and the old Explorer is riding level again...no more sag!!

:(

I've tried both, as well as Rancho RSX's. I'm not a fan of any of them. Neither the Monroes nor the Ranchos lasted more than 20,000 miles. When they were new, and compared to the old, worn-out shocks, they seemed great! But after 10,000 miles, both Monroe sets were marginal at best, and the RSX's managed around 30k before they were shot. (There's a particular stretch of freeway on my commute where worn shocks let my Ex 'hobby-horse' down the road). Gotta love Michigan roads!

The next set is going to be either Edelbrocks or KYB's, and not the entry level units of either one. As with all things automotive, you get what you pay for, I guess...

-Joe

REPLY to an OLD post!

I have monroes now and they are getting noisy after 20,000 miles of michigan driving.

I live near Detroit and our roads are horrible. I "skid-jump" all the time. I hear creaking now when almost stopped or taking off (when the shock flexes) Driving on Michigan roads is like driving OFF ROAD! Any suggestions?

I took off Monroe's after 3 months and replaced them with KYB 'Gas-A-Just' - those are monotube technology and are much better than the previous Sensatrac. For really bad roads, maybe you want to look at KYB 'MonoMAX' - also monotube, but heavy duty.

Back