The best Shocks for smooth driving | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The best Shocks for smooth driving

you don't need new shocks. your stock ones will work or any other stock replacement shock will also work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another vote for Sensatrac. I almost went with them on my '00 Sport (no longer have it) and went with Reflex instead. The guy who sold me them (who I trust inherently) did mention that the Reflex were a little bit more stiff and he was right. I didn't really care for the ride myself. Handling was great, but I felt the bumps a little bit more. I've read lots of great stories about Sensatrac if you want a cushy ride.

I have Bilsteins on my '99 EB. I think you get the best of both worlds. They're more cushy than Reflex, but have the stiffness and responsiveness of the Reflex. I've been very pleased. I scored by EB and put the shocks on when my son was about a year old. He has had no complaints (although he did complain once about my aftermarket exhaust, asking me to "turn down the engine" once! That led to a resonator, but that's another story).

I think you'll be happy with Sensatrac.

Thank you very much for all of your comments guys, this gives me an idea of what im about to order.

does Shockwharehouse have a discount for members of this site?

I have the edlebrocks and they are great in the rear, but terrible in the front. I went from the stock shocks to the edlebrocks and it bounces all over the road. That was about 25k ago and now they are totally shot. Not impressed at all, I'm going to give the sensatracs a try.

Anything will be an improvement if you still have stock shocks on it. I had stock shocks on mine and tossed on a set of $17.00 gabriels. It's night and day difference, plus they are lifetime warranty at Autozone, so in 30k miles (3 years) I'll pop them off and get replacements. Since it only takes 30 mins to change the rears I think it's well worth it.

If you haven't bought shocks yet look up shockwarehouse.com. I just looked through there and they are having an awesome sale and have free shipping.
They even have hood struts for $17.00 a set with free shipping.

If you haven't bought shocks yet look up shockwarehouse.com. I just looked through there and they are having an awesome sale and have free shipping.
They even have hood struts for $17.00 a set with free shipping.

Thanks Jay,

That's correct, Bilstein is having a buy 3 shocks and get the fourth free promotion right now.

Any discount promo codes aren't able to be used with this specific promotion.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or reply here. I'll be more than happy to help!

Down here we have a brand called EFS, I had them (Elites) on my 98 X plus reset my rear leaf springs. They gave a very controlled, flat, smooth ride & I'd recommend them to anyone. They make 3 specific types - on/offroad , Enforcer (32mm bore) - offroad , Elites (35mm bore) & comp, Extremes (45mm bore)
www.efs4wd.com.au/
They are international.

ok guys i changed my shocks yesterday the 4 of them with sensatracks and to tell you the truth i don't feel a lot of difference, don't get me wrong the car does feel smoother, but it isnt the level of smoothness that i had in mind. Do you guys recommend something else to make the ride smoother?

Do you guys recommend something else to make the ride smoother?

Buy a Town Car or a Cadillac. You're driving a two and a quarter-ton truck down the road. I't got body-on-frame architecture, with a solid rear axle and leaf springs. It's not going to get much smoother than it is.

Look at your tire pressures. If Discount Tire or the like set them, they're likely up around 45-50 psi. Without knowing what size, make, and model tire you have, the recommended pressure can't be determined precisely, but in general, on an Explorer, 35 is a good starting point.

He's right you know, tyre pressure can make a HUGE difference in ride, anywhere between 32 to 36psi will soften it up.

Not sure how I missed this. We do have a 5% discount and free shipping for orders of $95 or more!

How does one go about getting the 5% discount?

Coupon code is in his sig.
Type "explorer" in the coupon code box when checking out.

Which shocks should I go with Bilsteins or Sensatracs? About $45 more for the Bilsteins.

What are the characteristics of the Bilsteins?

Bilstein promotion buy 3 shocks get the fourth free - Shockwarehouse.com

Just like 98 said, type promo code explorer upon checkout. If you go with eligible Bilstein's for the buy 3 get 1 free, the 5% isn't allowed. HOWEVER, you still get FREE SHIPPING regardless, so long as your order is $95 or more.

:thumbsup:

Coupon code is in his sig.
Type "explorer" in the coupon code box when checking out.

Which shocks should I go with Bilsteins or Sensatracs? About $45 more for the Bilsteins.

What are the characteristics of the Bilsteins?

Generally we advise people with SUVs or Trucks to use Monotube shocks on their vehicle. The ones we sell in that category include Bilstein, KYB, Monomax and KYB gas adjust and Edlebrock.

These shocks tend to last longer and perform better over time.

The Monroe Sensetracks are twin tube shocks that don't perform as well on trucks or SUVs, they are mainly used on passenger cars. If you plan to sell the vehicle in the next couple of years, you can probably get the Monroe's, but it's only a difference of $45 I'd go with the Bilstein's.

Feel free if you contact me if you have any questions.

Does that include overseas? as thats a HELL of a lot cheaper than over here.

p.s. I answered your vender mail ok.

Does that include overseas? as thats a HELL of a lot cheaper than over here.

p.s. I answered your vender mail ok.

Steelo,

Unfortunately, we only offer free shipping in the US. We can ship US mail though to you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gen3 2002+ i think

So an 03 explorer sport should have that? Or do the sports not count? My suspension feels fine and i'm at 92,000km

Back