The best Shocks for smooth driving | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The best Shocks for smooth driving

Bilstein promotion buy 3 shocks get the fourth free - Shockwarehouse.com

So an 03 explorer sport should have that? Or do the sports not count? My suspension feels fine and i'm at 92,000km

Here are the products we carry for your vehicle:

2wd - http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=3992&selected_year=2003

4wd - http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=3993&selected_year=2003

The Bilstein's for the 4wd (Heavy Duties) are eligible for the buy 3 get 1 free promotion. Unfortunately the 2wd's aren't.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question for shockwarehouse rep. Are the KYB GASAJUST PERFORMANCE shocks a good choice for my 2002 Explorer Sport 2wd that is mostly on the road driving? I am at 67k with the stock shocks and when I hit bumps I feel like the car bounces up and down to much.

Question for shockwarehouse rep. Are the KYB GASAJUST PERFORMANCE shocks a good choice for my 2002 Explorer Sport 2wd that is mostly on the road driving? I am at 67k with the stock shocks and when I hit bumps I feel like the car bounces up and down to much.

Uefear,

The KYB GASAJUST PERFORMANCE shock is a really good, old school monotube shock.

I was going to order them online but your system shows
the same shock for the 2dr 2001 4wd as the 4dr 2001 4wd and I do not think
that sounds right same since the 4dr is a different generation .
Can you confirm which are the correct ones for the 01 2dr sport with 4wd? Thanks

I was going to order them online but your system shows
the same shock for the 2dr 2001 4wd as the 4dr 2001 4wd and I do not think
that sounds right same since the 4dr is a different generation .
Can you confirm which are the correct ones for the 01 2dr sport with 4wd? Thanks

They're the same generation. The change didn't occur until the '02 model year. All '01s will use the same shocks.

cool, thanks..

Placed my order for the Bilsteins...Thanks

Got my shocks Wednesday, I just want to pass along that the shocks look beautiful and I'll be installing them in the next 2 weeks or so.

As a side note I have Bilsteins for my 2002 Pontiac Trans Am which I installed about 3 years ago. I'm very disappointed because at least one shock has failed (leaking oil) but I'm thinking now I bought it from a shady shop. When Shockwarehouses units came in the boxes were clearly brand new, and shocks were sparkling. When I got the shocks for my Trans Am the boxes were fairly abused (some of the hardware missing) and the paint was chipping a littile on some spots of the shock. I now think I bought a refurb :(

And for those who are too lazy to click the link...

Q. Changing the shocks / struts on my vehicle will make it ride "better" or "softer".....

A. How a vehicle "rides" depends on many things. Tire pressure, the type of vehicle, suspension modifications, tire/rim size, road conditions, etc. If you bought a vehicle that rides terrible, there probably isn't much you can do about it. Lincolns ride like a luxury car, the same way a Corvette rides like a sports car. Both have shocks, yet ride entirely differently. Just changing the shocks/struts is not likely going to change what the vehicle manufacturer built into a vehicle. How a vehicle rides is something that cannot be plotted or graphed scientifically, because it is all a matter of opinion. There is no 'measurement' for 'ride'. A car/truck manufacturer spends millions developing a vehicle, if they cannot correct the "ride" for you, chances are you cannot by only spending a few hundred dollars on the suspension.

We do not recommend buying shocks or struts specifically for trying to change the "ride" of a vehicle, that is not what shocks or struts do. Their function is to hold the tires in contact with the road and dampen suspension vibration.

The products we carry typically are designed to give a vehicle better handling, control, and safety. None of the units we have would be valved as 'soft' as the units your vehicle came with.

Q. Shocks and struts have a strap on the them to help with installation....

A. The straps serve only one purpose, and that is to fit the unit in the box. All the manufacturers use certain size boxes. If the boxes they use are, say, 20 inches long, and a strut or shock is 29 inches long, that unit will get a strap to compress it to fit in the box. And if the shock is shorter than 20 inches, then a strap is not needed, since it fits in the box with room to spare.

Sure, sometimes they can help with an installation, but that was not the intended use of the strap.

Q. Heavy Duty Shocks always say Heavy Duty on them...

A. The term "Heavy Duty" is a generic one. It is our opinion that a shock that has more dampening power and durability over an OE or low pressure design unit, is for heavy-duty use. To us, that means any shock that is a monotube design. CLICK HERE to find out why monotube shocks have better dampening, run cooler, and last longer, that's a matter of science. Any company can slap the word 'heavy-duty' on their packaging, but that term does not give you any facts.

Note that not every vehicle needs a 'heavy-duty' shock either. There is nothing wrong with using a low pressure gas unit if light-duty use is all you need.

Q. Heavy Duty shocks have a thicker body diameter than a light duty shock......

A. Some shocks represented as a 'heavy duty' shock will be a twin-tube low pressure design. Those kinds of shocks get a lot of cavitation and heat, so shock manufacturers give them a large body resevoir to hold extra oil, to try and keep them cooler (such as a Monroe Magnum). Monotube shocks are a more modern design, and do not generate as much heat and aeration, so those kinds of shocks do not need the extra oil, and are slimmer in size / diameter.

Q. The tire store in town says I have to change my shocks / struts every 30,000 miles...

A. The shocks and struts we carry in most cases are considered an upgrade by the U.S Government, over the stock, O.E. suspension units. They can be changed at anytime, even right after you purchase a new vehicle. If the vehicle you drive is not up to your expectations, or un-controllable, you may want to consider better parts for your suspension to improve it's handling and safety. Also, you may have special needs for your vehicle that may not have been incorporated into it's design, such as some off-road driving, or towing.

Also, despite what some people say, there is no time limit, by years or miles, on when you have to change a unit. Though we do recommend, as part of normal maintenance, to routinely give your suspension a visual inspection to make sure it is in good, safe, working order.

Q. Shocks / Struts will hold up my vehicle or change it's height....

A. Shocks (or Struts) do not really hold up a vehicle. For example, if you ever took shocks off your pickup-truck or RWD car before, you know when you set it down off the jack, it sits pretty much the same as it did before you took the shock off. What "holds" the vehicle up is the coil springs, leaf springs, or in some cases, a torsion bar.

There are shocks which can help, or add additional support, such as Monroe Load-levelers or Monroe Air-shocks. But no shock (outside of some kind of racing unit) is really designed to support a 3000-5000 lb. vehicle. There is a limit to how much a shock can help (for instance, just changing shocks on a half-ton pickup truck will not automatically make it a one-ton model.)

The primary uses of these type products is to keep the rear of the vehicle level with the front, so you have a more balanced suspension while driving or towing.

(On strut installations, it is important you get the springs seated correctly, or that can effect installation, and may effect height. Follow your repair manual's instructions carefully, every vehicle is different).

Q. The more gas pressure inside a shock / strut, the stiffer the valving or ride will be...

A. That's not really the way it works. The Nitrogen gas only prevents aeration (foaming bubbles) inside the unit. How soft or stiff a shock / strut is, that is determined by valving.

Aeration inside a shock or strut 'kills' the dampening ability of the unit, so the higher the pressure (for instance, Bilsteins have 360 psi ), the less chance you will get any aeration and heat, and less chance the units dampening ability will fade.

Valving in a shock or strut is calculated using "Rebound" and "Compression" figures. While shock manufactuers rarely publish these figures, their engineers work hard to come up with the best valving for maximum control and performance.

They're the same generation. The change didn't occur until the '02 model year. All '01s will use the same shocks.

Correct! And thanks to Ornithology for posting the myth's section. I get the 'when should I change my shocks?' question all the time.

Feel free to respond with any questions all and we appreciate your business and feedback!

I want to know how those KYB's are. I'm thinking of getting them for the front of my truck. I have Rough country 9000 out back right now. Fronts are shot.

I want to know how those KYB's are. I'm thinking of getting them for the front of my truck. I have Rough country 9000 out back right now. Fronts are shot.

The KYB Monomax are a great shock. They are monotube in the same respect as the Bilstein's. Bilstein has the reputation that I think overshadows the KYB's. Bilstein has more of a reputation based on their racing background.

When it comes down to it, it's all about personal preference. But I have heard from die hard KYB guys as well as Bilstein guys arguments that could steer one either way.

Here's more on the KYB Monomax - http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/kyb_monomax.cfm.

They are solid.

FWIW, I have a friend that's had to send back two sets of Bilsteins from the front end of his F-150 in less than a year each... The bushings on the lower mounts have worn out... Looked like they dry-rotted (and how poly bushings do that is beyond me??). Yes, they replaced them under warranty, but it made me leery enough to look for another brand. Edelbrocks and KYBs were my two first choices, and I found the KYB Monomax's on sale at The Tire Rack for $240 for the set, so I couldn't pass them up.

FWIW, I've been thrilled with them in the last two months. :)

The KYB Monomax are a great shock. They are monotube in the same respect as the Bilstein's. Bilstein has the reputation that I think overshadows the KYB's. Bilstein has more of a reputation based on their racing background. .

I had monomax's on my 96 and I LOVED them. such an improvement over monroes. I have been saying this on a bunch of different shock posts on here but no one seemed interested.

hopefully I can afford them again. I need new rears now. goign to check out shockwarehouse..which is unknowing to me, right up the highway from miami

I had monomax's on my 96 and I LOVED them. such an improvement over monroes. I have been saying this on a bunch of different shock posts on here but no one seemed interested.

hopefully I can afford them again. I need new rears now. goign to check out shockwarehouse..which is unknowing to me, right up the highway from miami

Phoenix,

Yes, they are a solid shock. Just underrated compared to the Bilstein's. They are better than Monroe/Ranchos IMO; however it's personal preference too.

Also, yes we are here in Oakland Park!

I recently replaced the stock shocks on my 01 XLS with the Bilstein HD's. I think the ride is firm and confident, yet seems to take the paved road obstacles quite well.

The major difference I noticed was in turns with choppy pavement. The truck doesn't want to sway all the way over and "skid-jump" through the turn

I agree with this poster. Bilsteins provide a firm and controlled ride. Great sway control too. However, there's an intersection on the block I live on that has an sunken manhole cover (less than 2 inches) that I hit every time I turn onto my street. The truck skid/jumps through the rest of the turn each time. I wonder if replacing the axle dampener with a Bilstein brand shock will help this.

I installed 4 new bilstein's and the axle damper shock, a few months on my 2000 mountaineer when the shockwarehouse offered buy 3 get the 4th free. Also replaced the swaybar bushings. Much improved ride, but it's still a 9 year old truck not a lincoln.
I had gabriel max control shocks on for about 50k miles, they were shot! My 5 yo little girl could compress the rear shocks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anybody have any any experience with bilstein 5100's? i currently have rancho 5000's and an explorerexpress rear sway bar and the ride on california highways are a sore! its bumpy like a horse ride.. i can see other cars doing the same and people in them do bounce around too but do you think the 5100's would smooth them out significantly?

the fronts have rancho 5000's too with the stock tortion bars but i'll be converting them soon to coilovers..

Back